Tuesday, December 7, 2010

IT IS ALL RELATIVE

I like the Geico commercial about the ex-drill sergeant who calls his client a "jack-wagon," and then throws a tissue box at him. I know it is horrible of me, but I often feel that way when I have to listen to someone complain about their latest "drama." Having survived many similar incidences, some which were far worse, I just want to tell them to quit whining and get over it. In other words, "shut-up and man-up!" When wanting someone to console us, we usually exaggerate the problems we have and tent to minimize those of others. It is kind of like the reverse of the beam/mote thing in Matthew 7:3-5. We see our flaws as small, but our problems as huge, while viewing the sin of others as great, and their problems as petty. It is all relative.

I have noticed the older I get, the more the folks with whom I hang-out and I spend our time together discussing ailments. Of course there are always those living in denial, who seem to delight in their "perfect health." I have a barber who is in his eighties, and he is constantly bragging about playing golf three or four times a week. He makes me sick, pardon the pun. Recently, he was rushed to the hospital and had to have a pace-maker put in. I am ashamed to say it, but my carnal nature kind of giggled as he related his life-changing "wake-up call." I suppose one could describe his health in comparison to others, by saying, "Thank God I don't have his health problems." I certainly cannot complain about damaged vertebrae when talking to a person with terminal cancer. So, how we view our health situation is also relative.

As you can tell by some of the comments I have made concerning my lack of spirituality, I can make no claim of being Christ-like. In fact, if the truth be told, I am about as far from being like my Savior as a believer can get and still be saved. My thoughts, attitudes, and words are certainly a concern to me, as I sincerely try to live for the Lord. I genuinely love God, but it is His children who drive me nuts; not only His, but mine as well. And when it comes right down to it, again the beam/mote thing comes into play. I have come to accept that I am walking in the flesh most of the time, and recognize that if I am to mature spiritually, it will have to be the work of the Holy Spirit. Obviously, I haven't been able to do it. But for some reason, I am disappointed and often angry when others who claim to be born again live like those who are lost. I suppose that my carnal mind justifies my judgmentalism and lack of love for those who are imperfect, by comparing their sins to mine. In reality, the only difference between them and me is that our list of sins differs. So in a sense, I am just as messed up as they. It is sad and hard on my pride to admit it, but when it comes to recognizing sin as sin, it really isn't relative.

There is one thing that is positive though; I am not as bad as I used to be, and I know that one day, I will not be as bad as I am now (1 Jn. 3:2)! I have heard people say, "I am not as good as I should be, but at least I am not as bad as I could be." I doubt that God looks at it that way. When I look at my forty years as a Christian, I can rejoice that by faith in Christ, I am His relative!

No comments:

Post a Comment