Saturday, September 29, 2018

THE CHRISTIAN: CALLED TO SERVANTHOOD!



THE BARCROFT BIBLE CHURCH HELPS MINISTRY;
AN EXAMPLE OF LIVING THE FAITHFUL CHRISTIAN LIFE!

In the Summer of 1970, while stationed with Blue Angels in Pensacola, Florida, I was confronted by a Chief Petty Officer name Hal Judd.  He had heard that I was not only an atheist, but a mocker of all who professed faith in a god, any god!  After several minutes of effort on his part to convince me of the reality of a deity, he finally gave up, and I laughed at my easy "victory!"

About five or so months passed, I received a letter from a former neighbor of ours when we lived in San Diego; I was stationed aboard the U.S.S. Jason, AR-8.  He had been a rock musician and like most rock musicians in the 1960's, was fond of "pharmaceutical relaxation."  Apparently, shortly after I was transferred to Pensacola, he had "found religion."  His letter was filled with evangelical "garbage," and I wrote him telling him my opinion.  The next letter I received from him was more of the same, only this time, he included a nice leather-bound pocket New Testament.  I remember throwing it across the room, and I did not see it again for a few weeks.  To make a loooong story short, someone put that "little book of myths" in my briefcase, and, out of pure boredom and a desire for a few laughs, I read one chapter of it.  God soon had a Bible-hungry babe in Christ!

Following my tour of duty in Pensacola, I was assigned to the Joint Chiefs of Staff in the Pentagon, where I finished the last five plus years of my career.  It was during that time that my wife and I attended a wonderful fellowship in Arlington, Virginia, named Barcroft Bible Church.  While on a weekend retreat, myself and two other guys were moved to start the Barcroft Helps Ministry.  It involved a twenty-four hour "hot-line" for emergencies, and over 100 volunteers who signed up to be servants to those needing our help.  We had electricians, plumbers, auto mechanics, etc. who were willing to meet whatever need they could.  Someone donated a two and a half ton stake truck and we helped people move nearly every Saturday of the year.  Twice a year, in the Spring and the Fall, several auto mechanics made themselves available to help service people's cars in the church parking lot.  (None of us ever accepted a dime for our service, and the only expense our callers had was the cost of replacement; water heaters, furnaces, car parts, etc.)!

Sadly, my wife and I have never found a church with the same commitment to meeting the needs of its members in such an organized way.  We have been members of Charlestown Independent Church in Southern Indiana for over twenty-five years, but the leadership has been focused upon the spiritual needs of members and their families, which of course, is where the greatest need lies.  We do have a Deacon Board that recognizes their role as servants, and we have yet to mention a need without one or more coming to our "rescue."  In fact, this very day, two deacons, Mike Coolige and John Lee came to measure a bed frame, go to Home Depot and get the necessary wood (cut to size), and replace my wife's box springs with a platform so that she, with a broken pelvis and severe back and leg pain, can get in and out of bed more easily.  Our church is so blessed to have such men serve the people, especially us "old folks."

I do not want to give the impression that Barcroft and C.I.C. are served by men only; the Help's Ministry actually had as many women volunteers as men!  We even had several teens as well!  At C.I.C. the ladies are quick to provide meals to those recuperating from physical problems, meals following funerals, and calls and cards to those who are having a rough time.  Our pastors never miss a hospital visit for those having surgery, and those in adult care facilities.  Rarely have they been unable to be an encouragement such instances.  I am so grateful that Jesus Christ set the example of One Who met (and still meets) needs!  A good way to recognize faithful churches is primarily through their adherence to Bible doctrine, but a close second, is how its members serve one another!


IN THIS WORLD, THINGS ARE IN A STATE OF DECAY.
THINGS BREAK.  GOVERNMENTS BECOME CORRUPT.
FRIENDS BETRAY AND FAMILIES HAVE THEIR "PROJECTS."


THE ONE POSITIVE ASPECT OF THE CHRISTIAN LIFE:  JESUS CHRIST, 
HE IS THE SAME YESTERDAY, TODAY, AND FOREVER!  
HE CAN BE RELIED UPON!

No comments:

Post a Comment