Wednesday, February 16, 2011

WRITING A THEODICY

A Theodicy is the epitome of attempting to answer the greatest "why." It is a theological or philosophical study which attempts to justify the conflict between God’s intrinsic nature of omni-benevolence (all loving), omniscience (all knowing) and omnipotence (all powerful), with the fact that evil exists, which would otherwise stand to refute God's attributes. Some define the term as an attempt to explain or justify God's behavior in general. Simply put, it is an attempt to explain why God allows evil when He is quite capable of preventing it.

One of my seminary professors gave us an assignment to write a paper defending the character of God. He suggested that there cannot be contradictory truths; that God, with all His "omni's," could not be good since Satan appears to have a free reign in this world. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, I believed that he was "playing the devil's advocate" (puns intended), knowing we would face that question in our ministries.

After thinking and praying about the assignment, I went to my professor and told him that I believed a man attempting to justify God was not only impossible, it was blasphemy. I supported my position using Isaiah 55:9 which says, "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts." Also, Job 9:10 says, "Which (Who) doeth great things past finding out; yea, and wonders without number." I didn't think of it then, but an excellent passage defending my unwillingness to write such a paper would include the temptation of Adam and Eve (Gen. 3:1-7). Satan suggested that God was not telling them the truth, and that He really wanted to prevent them from becoming His equal (v. 5). He was saying God is not good, nor does He need to be superior to man.

My professor accepted my recommendation that I be allowed to write a ten-page paper on the character of God instead of writing a theodicy. When I received my paper back, the grader had given me a "C" (he probably was told to do so by my professor), and he had written a scathing note saying he thought I was being foolish and immature, which was quite ironic since I was about twice his age at the time (I entered seminary at the age of forty-four).

As I mentioned yesterday, I detest "why" questions when they have to do with challenging the wisdom of those in authority. But for someone to suggest that God cannot be good because He allows evil to exist, is tantamount to denying the very existence of the God of the Bible. It seems absolutely ludicrous for Satan (or for man) to deny the superiority of God, when he so jealously covets His supremacy. When Darwinian "scientists," and the rest of the "great minds" of "so called science" (1 Tim. 6:20) challenge the authenticity of the Bible and the God presented therein, they are, perhaps unwittingly, serving Satan in his effort to bring God down to his level. After all, even when we as Christians become like Jesus (1 Jn. 3:2), He will still be God, and we will still be His creation. To God alone be the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment