Saturday, April 2, 2011

OBEISANCE

Yesterday, I wrote the second part of a two-part post entitled "God and God Alone." In it, I used an Internet definition for worship which said, "The most frequent New Testament word rendered "to worship" is the Greek word, προσκυνέω (proskunevw), which is defined as: "making obeisance, showing reverence to (from pros, towards, and kuneoµ, to kiss)." Not long after it was posted, I received a phone call from a Christian brother who "works" as my proofreader. Robert may be my only reader who actually enjoys reading these posts enough to check out my references, and who loves me enough to let me know when I have made an error. Robert works "cheap," as I do not pay him, but I find his proofreading invaluable.

Robert was humble enough to admit he had no clue as to the meaning of the word "obeisance," and that he had looked it up in his Young's Analytical Concordance, and in a dictionary. His resources led him to believe I had erred in using the verb, "making" with it. So today, this post is dedicated to Robert, my dedicated friend and "co-worker."

In checking other cites on the "net," I found the following examples of "obeisance" used in a sentence:

* The Greek term used for worship is proskuneo which means to do obeisance.
* I suggest that there are some errors in this ritual obeisance to received wisdom.
* I think their way leads to idolatry, for they are making obeisance to a book.
* The Queen's funeral allowed a willing nation to pay obeisance to her.
* He said in this case they are giving obeisance to a fetish of long standing.
* After Mao performed obeisance, he was considered adopted by the rock.
* In a dream he saw the sun, moon, and eleven stars bringing obeisance to him.

Although I did know that "obeisance" meant "to worship," I also must admit that I did not know how the word should be used in a sentence. Robert's attention to detail is refreshing, and scriptural. The Apostle Paul, a man who worked many miracles to authenticate his ministry and message, instructed his readers to check out the teachings of all who would claim to be spokespersons for God. In Acts 17:11, he said, "These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so." He also wrote, "Prove all things; hold fast that which is good" (1 Thes. 5:21). Robert is a faithful friend, and he is one of very few folks I know who take Paul's admonitions seriously. Thank you, Robert!

No comments:

Post a Comment