The Unborn Victims of Violence Act, passed in 2004, defines a fetus as "a child in uterus" and "a person" as being "a legal crime victim," if a fetal injury or death occurs during the commission of a federal violent crime. In the U.S., 36 states have laws with more harsh penalties if the victim is murdered while pregnant. Some of these laws define the fetus as being "a person," for the purpose of criminal prosecution of the offender (National Conference of State Legislatures, 2008).
Even when the death of an unborn child is due to an automobile accident, if the driver of either car is found to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol, that drive can be charged with vehicular manslaughter. One newspaper article read, "Intoxication manslaughter charges have been filed against a driver who crashed into a car being driven by a pregnant woman, causing her to lose her baby."
And yet, the same federal and state courts have ruled a pregnant woman has the right to have an abortion. When asked about the inconsistency, one person responded by saying, "The difference is, in the case of a woman having an abortion, the woman is consenting to the termination." So, apparently the choice to terminate an unborn child is strictly up to the mother, right? Of course, my question is, if a woman deliberately ends her pregnancy, is she really a mother? Webster's New World Dictionary defines a mother as "a woman who has borne a child." Notice it didn't say, "a woman who has borne a fetus," but a "child!"
When a woman discovers she is pregnant, she is said to be "with child." When a mother is asked if she knows what she carrying, she responds with "it's a girl" or "it's a boy." She does not say "it's a fetus." The Bible is replete with examples of the unborn being called a child. Here are a few examples:
* "And the angel of the LORD said unto her, Behold, thou art with child..." (Gen. 16:11).
* "If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her..." (Ex. 21:22).
* "Phinehas' wife, was with child, near to be delivered..." (1 Sam. 4:19).
* "And Hazael said, Why weepeth my lord? And he answered, Because I know the evil that thou wilt do... and wilt dash their children, and rip up their women with child" (2 Kg. 8:12).
* "Like as a woman with child, that draweth near the time of her delivery, is in pain, and crieth out in her pangs" (Isa. 26:17).
* "Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with Child of the Holy Ghost" (Matt. 1:18).
* "Behold, a virgin shall be with Child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us" (Matt. 1:23).
Since 1973, there have been approximately 57,000,000 babies "legally" murdered in the United States!