Tuesday, February 21, 2012

BAPTISM'S ROLE IN SALVATION

I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior, on my knees in my living room, on January 31, 1971. I immediately "knew" three things: my sins were forgiven, the Bible was the Word of God, and that I would become a preacher. I cannot explain how I knew these things, but I did. Little did I know that it would take twenty years for God to call me to a little Southern Baptist Church in Western Kentucky. And, little did I know that it was to be the only church, so far, to which He would call me.

Following my surrender to the Lord, I began telling everyone I met that I had gone from being an atheist to being a born again believer in Christ. Some rejoiced, most seemed that they could care less, and one decided I was not yet saved as I had not yet been baptized. Although I had never read the Bible, I knew I was saved! But, after several hours of "discussing the matter," I decided to let him baptize me just to get him off my back. (Later, I was baptized for the right reason by my new pastor.)

Two of the passages of Scripture he used, or I should say, misused were, Mk. 16:16, and 1 Pet. 3:21. These verses, taken within the context of the entire New Testament, can not mean baptism is required for salvation. Here are some reasons why:

* If baptism were required for salvation, Jesus would have baptized, and yet He did not (Lk. 19:10; Jn. 4:2).
* John the Baptist told his audience that he baptized in water, but Jesus would baptize in the Holy Spirit (Jn. 1:33; Acts 11:16).
* There are many verses that say salvation is by faith in Christ and not works (Jn. 3:36; 6:29, 35, 40; Acts 16:31; Eph. 2:8-9; etc.).
* Water baptism was not yet given to those who were already said to be saved (Acts 10:47).
* According to Ephesians there is only one baptism having to do with salvation (Eph. 4:5). Baptism is described as a spiritual baptism into Christ (Rom. 6:3; Gal. 3:27).

In light of those examples, we must conclude that in Mark 16:16, the difference between one being saved and one being condemned is whether or not one believes in Jesus. If he does, he will want to follow through in baptism. Notice, it does not say, "he that believes but is not baptized is condemned." No, it is one's faith, or lack thereof, which determines one's spiritual condition.

In 1 Peter 3:21, the verse is not describing salvation in the sense it is referring to eternal life, but it refers to Noah and his family being "saved from drowning." It is a simile which actually contrasts one's "experiencing water baptism (cleansing of the flesh), with being baptized in the Spirit, thus producing a clear conscience.

Being baptized is what saved people do!

No comments:

Post a Comment