Monday, July 13, 2015

LISTENING FOR GOD'S VOICE

I was just sitting here reading the many posts on Facebook, and one of them was a testimony by a young man who "heard from God."  Being the skeptic I am, I read what "the Lord had said," and it reminded me of a few (you can count them on one hand) times that I "heard God."  I immediately changed my attitude, as I clearly know God is no respecter of persons - if He had spoken to me, a proverbial "no-one," certainly He could, and definitely would, speak to others!

"Hearing God" and "hearing from God," are not necessarily the same thing.  Born again believers "hear from God" many times during the day; we read our Bibles, we hear from other believers, we see the "hand of God working out His will" in our lives and the lives of others.  But "hearing God," is a totally different story.  I must confess that of the few times He has spoken to me, I didn't always realize it was Him.  He has said, "Jesus wept," when I was crying over the life of one of our children.  He has said, "As much as possible, get along with all men," when I was beating myself up over my feeling toward a fellow seminary student who delighted in being a "jerk." 

But not every "message" to me from God was a quote of Scripture.  Once, He said, "Turn to September second."  Again, it was a very difficult time in my life, and I had picked up my copy of Our Daily Bread for whatever solace it would give me.  It was mid-November, so I thought nothing of it.  Then I heard it again, "Turn to September second."  Thinking it strange that I was hearing a voice saying that, I decided to turn to September 16th, my birthday.  Again, a third time, I heard the same words:  "Turn to September second."  So I did.  WOW!  In my mind, I was immediately taken back to that September day that I lost control of my emotions during a Chapel service.  I sobbed uncontrollably, and had no idea why!  Now, here is November, was why!  The title of the devotion was "God's Love Softens Hearts!"  I remembered being bitter that I was in a liberal, almost God-less seminary, when I wanted to attend a solid Bible-believing school.  In that moment, I clearly remember having a change of heart; I couldn't wait to get back to class, and was even looking forward to next week's speaker:  A WOMAN!  Who would have "thunk it?"  Certainly not I!  The following week, the Dean of the School of Christian Services spoke, and believe it or not, her message answered three issues I had prayed earnestly about that very morning!  When I told her afterwards, she, a huge woman, gave me a "bear-hug" that about crushed my "larger than necessary frame!"

The last time I "heard God," it was in response to a call to become the Pastor of a small Kentucky rural church.  I was less than encouraged when my wife refused to move.  Waking up from an afternoon nap, I heard, "You go, and let her come on the weekends."  When I told her, she took a minute, and then said she could live with that; (having me out of her hair five days a week sounded good, I am sure - LOL).  I didn't even realize it was God, until I was relating the story to a friend on campus the next day (Dr. Kevin Cosby)!  That is when I realized the "voice" spoke in second person, or I should write it "Second Person."  He was telling me to GO! 

I haven't "heard God" since, and that is really sad!  However, it is wonderful to know that He is still speaking to "no-bodies" all around the globe!  Praise God for His voice, His Word, and His saving me by His grace and mercy!  Thank you God, for allowing me to know Jesus Christ is my Savior! 

No comments:

Post a Comment