Monday, October 8, 2018

HAVING YOUR HEART EXAMINED!


DIAGNOSING A HEART PROBLEM!

I have had more than my share of dealings with heart doctors over the years, and fortunately for me, my Cardiologist, Matthew Sweat, has kept my "ticker" going ever since my heart attack while a student in seminary in 1988.  Time and time again, he has correctly evaluated the latest issue, and responded with much success (otherwise, someone else would be writing this blog - LOL!).

But, I have a different "Cardiologist" Who is monitoring my spiritual heart - the Holy Spirit!  He sometimes gets my attention with a "little murmur-like reminder," and He has had to "shock me awake" when a "murmur" was not sufficient to get my heart back on track!  And instead of a EKG to show me where my problem is, He uses the Word of God!  Below are ten questions the "Doctor" asks me:
                 
1 Chronicles 28:9 - Whom does my heart serve?  And do I serve Him with whole-hearted devotion?  

Psalm 19:8 - What causes my heart to rejoice?   What brings joy to my heart?   What does my heart delight in?

Psalm 28:7 - Is my heart trusting in God or in myself or others?
 
Psalm 51:10 - How clean or pure is my heart?   Am I harboring any unconfessed sin?

Psalm 51:17 - Is my heart broken and contrite (deeply grieved over sins I committed)?
 
Psalm 95:8 - How soft is my heart toward God's Word and the needs of others?

Psalm 119:11 - What do I have treasured up in my heart?   Is God’s Word at home in my heart?

Matthew 6:21 - What does my heart hold dear?  Does my heart love obedience to God's will?

Matthew 22:39 - Does my heart love others more than self?   

Ephesians 5:19 - What kind of melody is found in my heart?  What song does my heart love to hear?   

Yes, my heart needs a constant check-up.  It is the "organ" most vulnerable to the attacks of the evil one!  But I must also remember:  my heart is desperately wicked, and often deceives me (Jer. 17:9)!  When the Spirit "nudges" me and lets me know there is something, I need to ask the Lord to:

Psalm 139:23-24 - Search me, O God, and know my heart:  try me, and know my thoughts:  and see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.


GOD LOVES HIS CHILDREN, BUT LIKE ANY GOOD PARENT, HE DISCIPLINES US WHEN WE STRAY FROM HIS CHOSEN PATH FOR US.  IF YOU ARE LIVING A LIFE THAT IS AT ODDS WITH THE TEACHING OF GOD'S WORD, AND YOU ARE "GETTING AWAY WITH IT," YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK YOUR "BIRTH CERTIFICATE" - PERHAPS YOU ARE NOT A LEGITIMATE CHILD OF GOD (HEBREWS 12:5-8)!

No comments:

Post a Comment