Saturday, April 3, 2010

DOGMATISM: THE SIN OF ARROGANCE

Every born again Christian is in the process of becoming Christ-like through the work of the Holy Spirit. I doubt that any would disagree, but remembering that we also are in the process and have not yet arrived is another matter. James wrote about how easy it is to forget our own imperfections while insisting on correcting others (James 1:18-26). There is a vast difference between teaching the truth and attacking those who have yet to "arrive at our level." I have learned that I still need to learn. What I was dogmatic about yesterday has, on occasion, been wrong. Having had to "eat my words" has humbled me, and yet, I am afraid I still mistakenly believe I am the one with all the answers. What a fool. How does God tolerate my arrogance?

Every Christian would agree that God knows everything about us, but it appears that not every Christian is aware that they do not know everything about Him (1 John 3:2). I will be the first to admit that I do not understand the Trinity. I believe it, but I don't understand it. I do not understand why God loves everyone enough to die for them, knowing full well that most will reject His offer of forgiveness. I do not understand why God loves me; I have accepted Christ and yet I am so far from being Christ-like that I don't even love me! I cannot wait for the day when I actually am Christ-like and really know God even as I am known of Him!

Another doctrine that I do not understand is that Jesus was fully human and yet He was also fully Divine. It appears from Philippians 2:5-8 that Jesus "changed forms." He had been in the form of God, but He chose to take on the form of man. The text suggests that He was equal with God, but He became equal with man. I am fully aware of the doctrine of the hypostatic union, but I certainly don't understand it. How can the Eternal die? Why did He not know the answer to His disciple's question (Mark 13:32)? Why did He pray? Why did He say to His Father, "My God, my God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?"

There is a lot more about my Lord that I don't understand than there is that I do. I do believe that Jesus was, is, and always will be God, and I also believe that as long as I am studying to show myself approved of God, He is pleased with me. At this stage in my knowledge of God, I believe that when the sky turned dark, the earth quaked, and the veil was torn from top to bottom, my Lord and Savior was separated from the Father by my sin. And being separated, He cried out trying to understand why He felt He was alone. His very next reported saying was, "I thirst." My question to you is, Was He thirsting for water, or was He thirsting for righteousness? Jesus taught that those lacking righteousness are blessed when they thirst for it (Matthew 5:6). I don't know the answer, but I do know that dogmatism is far less pleasing to God than is humility!

No comments:

Post a Comment