Saturday, May 22, 2010

MY LORD AND MY GOD

FAITH IS A GIFT
It has often been said that God has no grandchildren. Those who say it are trying to make the point that each person needs to become God's child by exercising the faith in Christ given them by the Holy Spirit (Eph. 2:8). I did not become a child of God until I recognized that Christ died for me, for my sin, and I accepted the risen Christ as my Lord and Savior. That occurred in my living room on January 31, 1971 at approximately noon. I awoke that morning as an atheist, but God became my Father when I place my Holy Spirit-given faith in Jesus Christ. John 1:12 says, "But as many as received Him, to them gave He the power to become the (children) of God, even to them that believe on His name."

THE WORD IS A GIFT
The Book of Hebrews begins by telling its readers that God, Who formerly spoke to the fathers of our faith through the prophets, had at last spoken to mankind by His Son. We learn from 2 Timothy 3:16 that God inspired the writers of Scripture. The inspiration of Scripture is also found in the Old Testament passages (2 Sam. 23:2-3; Isa. 59:21; Jer. 1:9). The longest chapter in the Bible, Psalm 119, is entirely devoted to the author of the Word of God.

SALVATION IS A GIFT
Salvation is the result of believing God's Word and being willing to tell others (Rom. 10:9-11). But believing the Word implies that one has been exposed to it. Romans 10:14-17 makes it clear that God uses believers to spread the Good News. Salvation is a gift because it is the result of God's grace (Eph. 2:8). It is the will of God that everyone who places his God-given faith in the Jesus Christ of the Word of God, pass it on.

WE ARE A GIFT
But God didn't save us just to receive our praise. He saved us to do work (Eph. 2:10). Ephesians 4:11-12 says that God made a gift to mankind of apostles, prophets, evangelists, and pastor-teachers, to prepare believers to do the work of ministry. Notice that these are to train you and me to build the Church. Since their job is to prepare us to do the work of ministry, we are those "preachers" in Romans 10:14-17. So, in that sense, God has given us as a gift to the lost world. Whether or not we become a "cherished" gift highly prized by those to whom we are given, has a great deal to do with our character. If we are argumentative, arrogant, judgmental, or hypocritical, we will be of little value. However, if we exhibit the fruit of the Spirit (Gal. 5:22-23) and are humble when we speak of God to others, we will be "priceless." So I guess the bottom line is: Is Jesus my Lord and my God? If He is, then I have work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment