Wednesday, June 23, 2010

FOUR QUESTIONS

Becoming a Christian is the easiest thing in the world! All the work has been done for us (Eph. 2:8-9). God loved us (Jn. 3:16; Rom. 5:8). Jesus died for our sins and rose again to save us (1 Cor. 15:2-4; 15:12-23). The Holy Spirit convinces us and gives us the faith to believe (Jn. 16:8; Eph. 2:8-9). All I have to do is agree with God. I have to agree that I am a sinner worthy of God's judgment. I have to agree that I need a Savior. I have to agree that Jesus was qualified to take my punishment. I have to agree that the Father loved me and has accepted Christ's payment of my debt. All I have to DO is believe (Jn. 1:12; 6:29). What could be easier than that?

Being a Christian is equally easy. The Spirit provides us with spiritual birth (Jn. 3:3-8). The Spirit seals us as God's property (2 Cor. 1:22; Eph. 1:13; 4:30). The Spirit intercedes for us (Rom. 8:26). The Spirit indwells us (Jn. 14:17). The Spirit empowers us with supernatural abilities (1 Cor. 12:4-11). The Spirit arms us to fight against principalities, powers, rulers of the darkness of this world, and spiritual wickedness in high places (Eph. 6:12-17). What more do we need to live as a Christian?

Behaving like a Christian is anything but easy! WE are to love everybody: family, friends, the brethren, and even our enemies (Matt. 5:43-48)! If someone has done us wrong, WE are to go make it right (Matt. 18:15-17). If we have offended someone, WE are to make it right (Matt. 5:23-24). Others can take us to court for offending them, but WE are to suffer through it (Matt. 5:25-26; 1 Cor. 6:7) WE are to forgive seventy times seven (Matt. 18:21-22). As much as possible, WE are to live peaceably with all men (Rom. 12:18). WE are to bless them that curse us, and WE are to pray for those who despitefully use us (Matt. 5:44). WE are to be perfect, even like God Who is perfect (Matt. 5:48). When we fail to live according to this extremely high standard, WE are called hypocrites. Am I the only one who believes behaving like a Christian is beyond my ability?

I THANK GOD for Romans Chapter Seven! The Apostle Paul describes his struggle to live the Christian life as beyond his ability, and he anxiously awaits being freed from this "body of death" (7:24). I THANK GOD that His Word lets me know He does not expect me to be perfect yet (Phil. 1:6; 2:13; 1 Jn. 3:2). I THANK GOD that He is faithful and just to forgive us when we confess our failure to behave as Christians (1 Jn. 1:8-10). Is it possible that anyone reading and believing this could fail to thank God?

No comments:

Post a Comment