Wednesday, July 7, 2010

DEATH: THE FINAL FRONTIER

Have you ever wondered why Christians are so determined to hang on to life? I once heard a preacher say that all Christians want to go to heaven, but they never want to go now. Why not? What is so great about this world? Jesus told His disciples that "In the world ye shall have tribulation..." (Jn. 16:33). If we live our lives as Christians, the world hates us (Jn. 15:19-21; Acts 14:22; 2 Tim. 3:12). On top of that, Christians who have yet to become Christ-like (that's all of us folks - 1 Jn. 3:2) will receive chastisement from God as well (Heb. 12:6; Rev. 3:19). Perhaps the hardest to take of all is the betrayal we suffer from other Christians. The New Testament is filled with examples of Christians sinning against their brothers and sisters by judging them, lying to them, and even wanting to bring harm to them (Matt. 7:1-6; Acts 5:1-11; Phil. 1:15-16; etc.). I love that old song, "This world is not my home, I'm just a passin' through. If heaven's not my home, then Lord what will I do? The angels beckon me from heaven's open door, and I can't feel at home in this world anymore."

And then there is the physical body. Whoever coined the phrase "the golden years" had to be talking about the age when seniors spend all their money (gold) on their poor health. Our old age is gold for the doctors, that's for sure. The last thing you should ever ask a senior citizen is, "How are you?" The next three hours of your short life will be spent listening to a litany of ailments and pains. And I love it when all the "experts" tell me that I need to exercise, to get out and do something. I can't jog due to bone spurs in my feet. My spine is almost fused due to "author." I can't sing a complete song due to my shortness of breath. I can't walk far due to congestive heart failure. Need I go on? Oh yeah, I forgot the cataracts that limit my driving. I think that's about everything. I would mention my lack of teeth, but there are always good ol' dentures on which one can count.

The good news is that when the Lord calls us home, we will have a new body (1 Cor. 15:35-57). Christ is now in His glorified body, and my favorite verse says that I will be just like Him (1 Jn. 3:2)! In heaven, there will be no need for doctors, or for that matter, "counselors" to tell us what we need to do about our weight and health. I have often told friends that I cannot wait until the Lord takes me home. The reaction is almost always the same: "You're kidding, right?" No, I am not kidding. Why would anyone want to live as a rusty, broken-down old Volkswagen, when their future existence will be like a shiny new limousine? It doesn't make sense.

I can only think of three reasons why a Christian would not want to go on to be with the Lord: they think this life is great while failing to compare it to eternal life with Christ; they fear because of doubts about the Word of God; they fear the actual experience of dying with the possible pain and suffering involved; or a combination of the three. I must admit that the process of dying is not all that appealing to me either, but as for trusting God's Word, and wanting to hold on to this "wonderful life," not so much. Paul said to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord (2 Cor. 5:8). Can you honestly say that you prefer life as it is? If so, I cannot fathom how. As for me, the sooner, the better! Come Lord Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment