Sunday, July 25, 2010

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

I am a Jehovah's witness. Now before you stop reading because you think I am a member of the cult called Jehovah's Witnesses, hear me out. I try to be a witness for Jesus Christ everyday of my life. As a pastor, Sunday school teacher, and a writer for this blog, my Christian life has all been aimed sharing Jesus Christ. I know you are wondering why I am saying that my witnessing for Jesus is being a Jehovah's witness. After all, the cult does not believe in the deity of Christ, and I definitely do. It is really quite simple. Once you realize that Jesus of the New Testament was in fact, Jehovah of the Old Testament, it all becomes so clear. Now all I have to do is convince you that such is the case. There are several clues. For one, the name for God which has come to be written "Jehovah" is from the Hebrew YHVH and is translated "I AM" in the Exodus 3:14 - Jesus used the name to refer to Himself many times, especially John 8:58. We know that He was claiming to be "I AM" because of the way His enemies reacted (Jn. 19:21). Then there are the many examples which show that Jehovah and Jesus have the same attributes and characteristics:

Both are Lord of the Sabbath - Gen. 2:3 and Matt. 12:8.
Both are called Creator - Isa. 44:24 and Jn. 1:3.
Both are called Savior - Isa. 43:11 and Acts 4:12.
Both will judge mankind - Isa. 3:13-14 and 2 Cor. 5:10.
Both are coming in glory - Isa. 40:5 and Matt. 24:30.
Both are the first and the last - Isa. 44:6 and Rev. 1:17.
Both are the Rock of salvation - 2 Sam. 22:32 and 1 Cor. 10:4.
Both are living water - Jer. 17:13 and Jn. 4:10-14.
Both will reward man - Isa. 40:10 and Matt. 16:27.
Both have all authority and power - 1 Chron. 29:11 and Lk. 9:1.
Both are to receive worship - Ex. 34:14 and Rev. 5:12-13.
Both forgive sin - 2 Chron. 7:14 and Matt. 9:6.
Both are the Good Shepherd - Gen. 48:15 and Jn. 10:14.
Both are Lord of lords - Deut. 10:17 and Rev. 17:14.
Both are holy - 1 Sam. 2:2 and Acts 3:14.
Both are the Light - Ps. 27:1 and Jn. 8:12.
Both are the Way - Ps. 16:11 and Jn. 14:6.
Both give eternal life - Prov. 19:23 and Jn. 3:36.

The list above is certainly not exhaustive as there are hundreds of parallels in the Word. It is clear to me that when I witness for Jesus Christ, I am witnessing for Jehovah. This brings us to an obvious question: If Jesus was a Christophany or a Theophany, then what do we know about the Father, the first person of the Trinity? Unfortunately, not a whole lot. All of what we know about the Father is learned from our study of Jesus. He told His disciples if you have seen Me, you have seen the Father (Jn. 14:9). If Jehovah is the Old Testament name of the pre-incarnate Christ, then what is the Father' name? I will try to answer that tomorrow, Lord willing, but in closing today, I am proud to say I am a Jehovah's witness. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment