Saturday, September 11, 2010

I HAD A DREAM: PART TWO

I am writing this on the ninth anniversary of the world seeing exactly what Satan does when he is free to do what comes naturally to him. He is like a raging torrent of water waiting to be released to seek its own level. From the Book of Job, I have come to believe that God is sort of like a huge dam holding back Satan from the potential destruction he desires to work on mankind (Jn. 10:10). The destruction caused by evil that fills the headlines is but a trickle of the total havoc he desires for this planet. If Satan had his way, our world would be uninhabitable.

Racism and religious "racism" are but two examples where men cooperate with the evil one. Politics is another. The Constitution of the United States of America proclaims we have a "government of the people, by the people, and for the people." We celebrate our freedom to vote for men and women to represent us locally, nationally, and in the world. The problem is, America is duped into electing people who are more interested in power and wealth, than they are in what is best for the people. Men and women of average wealth, who run for office to receive less than $250,000 salary a year, somehow become millionaires while in office. It really doesn't matter which party they represent, "thar's gold in them thar hills" (Capitol Hill). Because the people must choose their leaders based upon what we know about their position on the issues, and because they lie through their teeth, the voters often select the wrong people to represent them. It is my personal opinion that if a person testifying at a trial lies and is subsequently sentenced to imprisonment for giving a false testimony, a person who lies to get elected ought to suffer the same fate. Lying about one's own platform (and about their opponent's), is tantamount to treason. It is taking the government by subversion. The phrase "an honest politician" certainly appears to be an oxymoron.

There is one thing that racism, religious "racism," and political greed, all have in common: self-centered sin. When a person sees himself as superior to someone else, or wants to become rich at the expense of others, it is sin. Sin is the opposite of love. Sin focuses upon self; love focuses upon others. Part of the dream I had for my life was that once I became a Christian, I would become a "good person." But the more I look in the mirror of God's Word, the more repulsive I appear. I am no different than anyone else; I am a sinner. My dream, like King's, is impossible. As long as man is in this body, we are doomed to fail at being Christ-like. However, there is good news. My sins are paid for by the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ; and one day in the not so distant future, I will shed this body of death and become like Him (1 Cor. 15:3-4; 42-58). I never dreamed I could be like Jesus, but for all of us who trust in Him, we will (1 Jn. 3:2). I haven't stopped dreaming. My dreams have changed from desiring a perfect America; I realize that "This world is not my home, I'm just passing through." I dream of that glorious day when I see Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment