Friday, March 25, 2011

IS NO NEWS REALLY GOOD NEWS?

According to the American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer, the phrase, "no news is good news" is considered a common idiom. Her explanation of it is as follows:
"Having no information means that bad developments are unlikely, as in 'I haven't heard from them in a month, but no news is good news.' This proverbial phrase may have originated with King James I of England, who allegedly said 'No news is better than evil news' (1616)."

Today, King James almost seems like a prophet. The news media is inundated with wars, murders, assaults, thefts, sexual deviancy, "ponzie schemes," riots, political corruption and partisanship, etc. It has only been in the last few years that the national television news has ended each broadcast with a short "feel good" story. I hate to be cynical, but I believe that, like me, viewers were tired of their reporting leaving them depressed. I know people who never watch the news because they have too much tragedy in their own lives; why should they add the woes of the rest of the world on top of theirs?

One of the greatest inventions man has given us is "caller I.D." We can look at who is calling and decide whether or not we are in the mood to listen to a family or friend's "sob-story." The same is true for e-mails and facebook. There are some folks who write me, and by the time I finish reading about how horrible their spouse is, or their children are, or their boss and co-workers are, or their health is, etc., I just want to poke my own eyes out. I don't have a cell-phone, but I have seen others who have programmed in a specific ring-tone for each of their frequent callers. It is sad, but funny, to watch the effect the sound has on the person being called.

I can only think of two exceptions to the truth found in the idiom. During the time of war, when a loved one is in harm's way, a call or letter means that they are still alive. It really didn't matter so much what they had to say; just knowing they were alive was the best news possible. On the opposite end of the spectrum, seeing a military vehicle pull up and having a Chaplain get out, pretty much said it all. It was the ultimate in "bad news."

The other exception is found in the contents of God's Word. In it, we learn that God loves us, that He sent His only begotten Son, Jesus, to die for our sins so that we did not have to pay for them ourselves (Rom. 10:17; Jn. 3:16; 1 Cor. 15:3; Rom. 6:23). It is through the Good News (the Gospel) which is the power of God unto salvation, that we receive the faith to bring us to believe in Him (Rom. 1:16; Eph. 2:8-9).

So, if you have never heard of Jesus, I HAVE GOOD NEWS FOR YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment