Christianity is different. One's relationship with God is not determined by what a man does or does not do. It is determined by whether or not he believes in what Jesus did. Our relationship with God is based upon our faith in the Gospel which is the only message from God that has the power to save us (Rom. 1:16). It is our faith, the faith given to us by God (Eph. 2:8-9), which results in our becoming a child of God (Gal. 3:26). The Gospel is explained in the following verses:
"Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; by which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; and that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures" (1 Cor. 15:1-4).Jesus finished the work necessary for you and me to "quality" to become children of God (Jn. 19:30; Rom. 4:24-25).
There is only one road that leads to a relationship with God, and that is Jesus (Jn. 14:6). There is great irony in that fact, in that, the "map" for that road is found in the Book of Romans! It is called "THE ROMANS ROAD" to salvation.
THE ROAD: TRUSTING IN HIS FINISHED WORK -
1. Rom. 3:23 - “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.
2. Rom. 6:23a - “The wages of sin is death....”
3. Rom. 5:8 - “But God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.”
4. Rom. 6:23b - “…but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.”
5. Rom. 10:13 - “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
6. Rom. 10:17 - “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.”
THE RESULT: RESTING IN OUR RELATIONSHIP -
7. Hebrews 4:3 - "For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world."