Saturday, November 19, 2011

JESUS IN JOHN'S GOSPEL

The Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke present Jesus as Israel's Messiah, the Son of Man, and the Suffering Servant, respectively. The Gospel of John presents Jesus as:

God:
In 1:1, he described Jesus as "the Word" which was God.
In 1:3, he says that Jesus was the Creator.
In 1:14, he tells us that God (the Word) became a human being.
In 10:30, he quotes Jesus as saying, "I and My Father are one."
In 20:28, he quotes Thomas as calling Jesus "My Lord and my God."

The Son of God:

John identifies Jesus as the Son of God, a title recognized as being equal to God. It is found in the Old Testament in Psalm 2:7 and Daniel 3:25. John calls Jesus the Son of God ten times (1:34, 49; 3:18; 5:25; 9:35; 10:36; 11:4, 27; 19:7; 20:31).

The Christ:
Jesus is called "the Christ" by John six times (1:41; 4:29, 42; 7:41; 11:27; 20:31). "Christ" is the New Testament word for "Messiah" in the Old Testament. To the Jew, their Messiah was to rule "the kingdom of God" (3:3, 5; 18:36). That is why those who wanted Jesus crucified protested when Pilate had the sign, identifying Him as the "King of the Jews," placed over His head on the cross (19:19).

The I AM:
In the Book of Exodus, "Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is His name? what shall I say unto them? And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: And He said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you" (Ex. 3:13-14). Jesus refers to Himself using the name of God seven times in John's Gospel. Jesus said:

"I AM the Bread of Life" (6:35).
"I AM the Light of the World" (8:12).
"I AM" (before Abraham existed) (8:58).
"I AM the Door" (10:9).
"I AM the Good Shepherd" (10:11).
"I AM the Resurrection and the Life" (11:25).
"I AM the Way, the Truth, and the Life" (14:6).

If Jesus is God, the Son of God, the Christ, and the I AM, what do you suppose your response to Him ought to be? He died, was buried, and rose again to be our Lord and Savior. If you accept Him, it will have to be the Jesus as presented in the Bible. And the biblical Jesus is God Almighty!


No comments:

Post a Comment