Saturday, December 26, 2009

ADJECTIVES

Once upon a time, many years ago, I thought the King James Version (KJV) of the Bible was on a level with the inspiration of the Greek, Aramaic, and Hebrew texts. I have defended it many times to my own detriment. It even caused me to break fellowship with some of my "liberal brethren." However, I began to wonder why every preacher who used the King James had to continuously refer to the Greek or Hebrew meanings. If the KJV was as accurate as they, why did it require the preacher to learn Greek and Hebrew? So, I thought I would buy an copy of the original KJV (1611) and find out. Much to my surprise, it was different from the KJV I used. It seems that modern Bibles were based on the 1611 edition, but they had been "updated." Imagine my surprise. Not only that, but the 1611 version included the Apocrypha! How could that be? If the original KJV was so perfect, why didn't the publishers include the Apocrypha in later editions? No one has satisfactorily explained that to me to this very day. Maybe someone reading this will be able to enlighten me.

I have long since become a fan of the New American Standard Version. It has been widely accepted as being the most accurate at translating the original languages. Unfortunately, it is very mechanical in its translating, and fails to translate Greek and Hebrew idioms. So, once again, I must refer to the experts to discover what these strange statements are trying to express. I guess that is why there are Bible Colleges and Seminaries to teach our teachers (pastors). Lexicons, and Concordances are very helpful, as are Bible Dictionaries. They, however, are still merely telling the reader what was meant in the original language

The idea that I need men and women to help me understand God's Word is very frustrating and humbling. I would prefer that it not be necessary because I find very few individuals whom I feel are trustworthy on such heavy matters. Fortunately, I have a pastor who is one of the few. In fact, in all the years I have been under his instruction, I cannot remember a single error. Of course, he occasionally says Noah when he means Jonah, or Peter when he means Paul, but we all know what he means. He is a gift to us, for sure.

I say all that to explain my version of Isaiah 9:6 - "For unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given, and the government shall be upon His shoulder; and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace." I have capitalized "Son" and "His" because it is obvious that the verse refers to Jesus. I am not sure why the translators of the KJV placed a comma between Wonderful, and Counselor, but I believe it should not be there. There are four titles for the One born to the Virgin Mary: Counselor, God, Father, and Prince. It makes more sense to understand the words, "Wonderful, The Mighty, and The Everlasting as adjectives. "Of Peace," is a prepositional phrase and, while serving as an adjective, the phrase in not actually one. What difference does it make?

I believe the verse is teaching that God is a Trinity. I believe that God the Father was in the Son, as was the Holy Spirit. Jesus tells His disciples that the Father is in Him in John 17. So, what do each of the titles tell us about the Man born to Mary? First, He is a Counselor, because the Counselor, the Holy Spirit dwells within Him. Second, He is God (this is the one that separates many Christians and cults, but nevertheless, He is God - John 1:1-3). Third, He is the Father (in that He is the express image of Him and carries out His will - if you have seen Me, you have seen the Father - John 14:9). And last, He is the Prince or the Son Who will one day be crowned King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Perhaps He has already been crowned, but long after Isaiah wrote this passage. The verse, therefore, is an Old Testament presentation of God as a Trinity. Sorry, Handel lovers, The Messiah is not accurate if we take out the comma. It is, nevertheless, the greatest music of praise ever written in my opinion.

So KJV enthusiasts, I am sorry I have left the fold. Please pray for me if you think I am a heretic. Pray for me even if you do not. I always need prayer! God bless and have a Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment