Tuesday, September 1, 2015

A RESPONSE TO ATTACKS ON AN AUTHOR

I know that what I am about to say, will get me "excommunicated" from all the wonderful conservative Bible friendships I have had on Facebook over the years, but I feel I must risk it.
God is Omniscient.
God is Omnipotent.
God is Omnipresent.
God is One consisting of Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
God never changes.
God has demonstrated His love for fallen man by offering His Son as a Sacrifice in our place.
God draws man, and the Spirit produces what it takes to convict and convince individuals to place their faith in Jesus Christ.

That being said, of the millions, perhaps even billions, of individuals who have become born again through faith in God's mercy and grace, I doubt that any two conversions has ever been exactly the same. For instance, eleven faithful disciples all came to Jesus in different ways. The thief on the cross, the Apostle Paul, you, and me, we all came to faith due to very unique circumstances.

That being true, still, it is only one message that converts man to faith in Jesus Christ - the Gospel, the Good News that Jesus died for our sins, was buried, and was raised from the dead according to the Scriptures! It is the Gospel that has the power of God to save us. We have heard, and we believe. No works there - just a heart that is convinced that the Word of God is true!

However, as I understand God's Word, He has used six dispensations (revelations of light and our responsibility to obey what He has revealed to us), all intending to show we are sinners needing a Savior. He has also used a burning bush, a beast of burden, a Samaritan, a Centurion, demons, and unsaved kings, high priests, and mere sinful men and women, to get His truth to a lost and dying world. He used Judas to spread the Gospel of the Kingdom, and a Christian hunter to write about half of the New Testament. There appears to be no limit to the ways He draws men and women to faith in His Son.

So, if a less than perfect author writes a fictional story in order to share his understanding of the awesomeness of God, even perhaps using shocking hyperbole to express his amazement of the Creator, why are men and women so quick to attack him? I read The Shack, and while I know God is not a Black woman, He could appear as such should He decide to get through to a White supremacist, just as He could appear as a woman to reach a male chauvenist. After all, He did appear as a common carpenter who subjected Himself to the authorities of a pagan empire and to abusive religious hypocrites. He appeared in an oven with three faithful would-be martyrs. He appeared as a pillar of fire; he appeared as a blinding sun to a murderous zealot who was trying to kill His children. My advice is: do not limit God, and do not attack His children who attempt to express their love for Him, in a way that is not "orthodox" enough for you.

I am not looking forward to the response I am certain I will get! Nevertheless, I hope some of you will consider these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment