Thursday, November 21, 2019

WHY AM I SUCH A LOUSY CHRISTIAN?


THE BELIEVER'S BATTLE WITH HIMSELF!

The Apostle Paul, the writer of half the books in the New Testament, struggled to live the Christian life just like I do!  In the following passage, Paul described his present frustration at failing to be filled with the Spirit.  Note the present-tense verbs as Paul admits that, even he, "leaks!"

Romans 7:14-25 (in my words) - For we know that the Law is spiritual:  but I am carnal, sold under (a slave to) sin.  For that which I do, I allow not:  for what I want to do, that I don't do; but what I hate, that I do.  If then I do that which I do not want to do, my guilt shows that I agree that the Law is good.  Now then it is no more I that do it, but my human sin nature that remains in me.  For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwells nothing good:  for the will to do good is present with me; but how to always perform that which is good, escapes me.  For the good that I would do, I do not: but the evil which I abhor, that I do.  Now if I do that which I do not want to do, it is no more I that do it, but power of sin that dwells in me.  I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.  For I delight in the Law of God in my mind:  but I see another law in my flesh, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my flesh. 

O wretched man that I am!  Who shall deliver me from this body of death?  I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord.  So then with the mind I serve the Law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.


THE TWO-PART SOLUTION TO OUR STRUGGLE!

LIVE AS THE HOLY SPIRIT DIRECTS US, 

Romans 8:1-4 (in my words)There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who are not governed by their flesh, but who are obedient to the Holy Spirit.  For the Law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the Law of sin and death.  For what the Mosaic Law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending His Only Begotten Son in the likeness of sinful flesh (Jesus was, Himself, sinless - see 2 Corinthians 5:21 and Hebrews 4:15) and to die to pay for our sin, condemned sin in the flesh:  that the righteousness of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

OR CONFESS OUR SIN AND BE "REFILLED!"

1 John 1:4-10 ((in my words)And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.  This then is the message which we have heard from Him, and we declare it unto you, that God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all.  If we say that we are walking in fellowship with Him, and we are walking in darkness, we are liars!  But if we are walking in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with Him and with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ, His Son cleanses us from all sin.  If we say that we do not sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.  If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (being without unrighteousness, is being righteous - being "refilled" by the Spirit)If we say that we have not sinned, we are calling Him a liar, and His Word is not in us.


DON'T BE DISCOURAGED!
GOD KNEW WE WOULD STRUGGLE
WHEN HE SAVED US!

IF WE ARE NOT STRUGGLING, 
WE PROBABLY ARE NOT SAVED!

No comments:

Post a Comment