Saturday, March 17, 2012

AM I A TRUE BELIEVER?

Do I see myself as a guilty, lost sinner who stands condemned before a holy and righteous God (Rom. 3:10-19, 23)? Do I recognize that my own heart is deceitful and wicked and incurably sick (Jer. 17:9; Mk. 7:21-23)? Do I see myself as deserving of death and hell (Rom. 6:23)? Do I realize that if God were to give me what I deserve and repay me for the way I have lived, then I would be totally destroyed (Ps. 130:3, 10)?

Do I recognize that there is absolutely nothing I can do to save myself (Titus 3:5)? Do I understand that trying my best to perform good works will never gain me or earn me an entrance into heaven (Eph. 2:8-9)? Do I realize that my church or my religious system cannot save my soul (Jer. 17:5)? Am I convinced that my own righteousness and my own goodness falls far short of the righteousness that God requires (Rom. 3:10-12; 1 Cor. 6:9-10)? Do I, in and of myself, have any personal credentials that are acceptable before God (Isa. 64:6)?

Do I believe that Jesus Christ is God’s only Solution to my sin problem (Acts 4:12)? Do I recognize Him as the ONLY WAY to God (Jn. 14:6), the ONLY DOOR to salvation (Jn. 10:9), the ONLY SAVIOR for sinners (Matt. 1:21) and the ONLY ONE who can give me eternal life (Jn. 10:28; 17:3)? Do I understand that Jesus Christ is Eternal God (Jn. 1:1-3) who came into this world and became a man to save me (Jn. 1:14; 1 Tim.1:15; Jn. 3:17)? Am I convinced that He loved me even when I was a great sinner (Rom. 5:8; Jn. 3:16) and that He died and rose again to save my soul (Rom. 4:25)? Am I persuaded that the Lord Jesus died on the cross for my sins and that He died in my place as my perfect Substitute, dying in my stead and paying completely the full penalty for my sins (Isa. 53:6; 1 Pet. 3:18; 2 Cor. 5:21)?

Am I trusting in Him and in Him alone to save me (Acts 16:31)? Have I come to Him in simple, child-like faith (Jn. 6:35, 37; Matt. 11:28)? Have I, by faith, personally received the Lord Jesus Christ as my Savior (Jn. 1:12)? Am I resting my entire self on Him (John 8:24), on what He has done (1 Cor. 15:3-4) and on what He has said (Jn. 6:47)? Do I believe that He is able to completely save all those who come unto God through Him, including me (Heb. 7:25)? Do I believe the statement of Christ found in John 5:24? Is John 3:16 true of me? Have I ever shared with others that Jesus Christ is my Savior (Rom. 10:9-10; Matt. 10:32)?

Another helpful question that I can ask myself is this: If I were to die today and stand before God and He should ask me, “Why should I allow you to enter My holy heaven?” what would my answer be? If my answer in any way points to MYSELF (my own credentials, my own works, my own religious deeds, etc.) then I am not trusting only in Jesus for my salvation. Then I am not saved.

Part of "Am I a True Believer"; from www.middletownbiblechurch.org with permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment