Wednesday, March 28, 2012

MIRROR, MIRROR, ON THE WALL

How do you know who is a born again believer and who is simply religious, when it comes to Christians? For years, I have quoted the verse, "...by their fruits, ye shall know them" (Matt. 7:20), but over the years, I have come to realize I am not as good a "fruit inspector" as I thought. I have often questioned my own fruit. You would think, based upon God's repeated statements saying only He knows those who belong to Him, that we would not be so quick to judge. His Word says:

* "But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart" (1 Sam. 16:7).

* "Then hear thou in heaven thy dwelling place, and forgive, and do, and give to every man according to his ways, whose heart Thou knowest; for Thou, even Thou only, knowest the hearts of all the children of men" (1 Kgs. 8:39).

* "Oh let the wickedness of the wicked come to an end; but establish the just: for the righteous God trieth the hearts and reins" (Ps. 7:9).

* "Shall not God search this out? for He knoweth the secrets of the heart" (Ps. 44:21).

* "But, O LORD of hosts, that judgest righteously, that triest the reins and the heart, let me see Thy vengeance on them: for unto Thee have I revealed my cause" (Jer. 11:20).

* "I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings" (Jer. 17:10).

* "And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two Thou hast chosen" (Acts 1:24).

So then, what exactly does the Lord see when He looks at the hearts of those who are His? He sees faith!

"And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as He did unto us; and put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith" (Acts 15:8-9).

I guess the ultimate question is, am I saved? Am I a born again believer? When I look in the mirror of God's Word, I do not see the image of Christ (Jam. 1:23-24). But one thing I know; I believe in Jesus Christ, and the Apostle John says that I have eternal life, even when I doubt myself (1 Jn. 5:13)!

God's "Mirror" always tells the truth; man's "mirrors" often lie!

No comments:

Post a Comment