Thursday, August 2, 2012

GOD IS NOT A VERB

My thoughts today are centered around the idea that God is the God of action.  In yesterday's blog, I said there were forty-six examples in Scripture that showed man's intentions "but God" intended for something quite different to happen.  Those examples show that God is not sitting idly by as an observer, but that He is quite active in directing the events of man's history.  There are many who believe in God as the Creator, but that is as far as they are willing to go.  They believe He "set in motion" man's existence, and then, much like a spectator at a sporting event, watches the actions of those on "the field of play."  That particular "theology" is called Deism.  However, Scripture reveals God as being actively involved in the lives of man.  The Bible uses words like "predestinate," "predestined," "elect," and "chosen" to reveal God's participation in the outworking of His plan (Rom. 8:28-29; Eph. 1:5, 11; Rom. 9:11; Eph. 1:4; etc.).  This can clearly be seen in the following verses:*  Jeremiah 1:5 says, "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations." 
*  Philippians 1:6 says, "Being confident of this very thing, that He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ." 
*  2 Timothy 1:9 says, "Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began."

In this post, I wanted to look at the name God with which God identified Himself to Moses; a name which actually contains a verb.  Exodus 3:14 says, "And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and He said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you."  But when I looked up the idea of God's name being a verb, I discovered there is a Jewish cult that has focused on that view of God:  Kabbalah.  I also learned that R. Buckminster Fuller went so far as to say, "God is a verb, not a noun."  Needless to say, I decided not to pursue the idea.

God's name may contain a verb, but I assure you, He is the ultimate Noun! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment