Tuesday, July 8, 2014

HELPLESS BUT NOT HOPELESS

According to Merriam-Webster's on-line dictionary (m-w.com), "depression" is:  "a state of feeling sad; a serious medical condition in which a person feels very sad, hopeless, and unimportant and often is unable to live in a normal way; a period of time in which there is little economic activity and many people do not have jobs."
 
I hate to admit this, but more often than not, I am depressed.  I find myself crying out to God, begging Him to take me home.  The Bible says that born again believers will immediately be with Jesus the moment they die (2 Cor. 5:8).  It says that the moment we see Jesus face-to-face, we will no longer struggle with sin; we will be like Him (1 Jn. 3:2).  As one very popular song says:  "It's Friday....but Sunday's a-comin'!" 
 
The first thing I though about when I awoke this morning, was one of our three miniature poodles:  "Scoobie-Doo."  I love all three, but "Scoobie" is my favorite (please don't tell "Buddy" & "Pippy").  He refused to come when I fed them last night, and he remained curled up on the couch all evening.  It makes me sad, and I feel so helpless.
 
Then, after checking on "Scoobie," I checked Facebook and the Internet to see what was going on all  over the world.  Facebook was loaded with posts about Arab and Israeli teens being beaten, tortured, and even burned alive.  There are stories of thousands of rockets being aimed at Israel, from outside and even from within its borders.  I pray for the peace of Jerusalem, but I know that until Jesus returns at the end of the seven-year Tribulation (Dan. 9:24-27; Mt. 24:3-29; Rev. 19:11-21; etc.), the only peace they will experience will be the false peace of Antichrist!  I feel so helpless.
 
I read about how terrible America is because its weak "leadership," its weak economy, its weak moral standards, its weak educational system, and its weak self-discipline!  We are the nation which leads the world in obesity, for heaven's sakes!  The one thing we do better than anyone else, is eat!  Then I see the videos of starving children in Africa, and because of the corrupt governments that control donations of food and other resources, I know I am unable to help them!  I feel so helpless!
 
And then there is the guilt!  I sin!  My thoughts, words, and deeds are constantly out of harmony with the leading of the Holy Spirit!  I will be in prayer, and before I realize it, I am thinking hateful or selfish or just plain evil thoughts!  Right in the middle of prayer!  I can't even pray right!  I feel so helpless!!
 
But then I remember that although all things became new to me when I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior, the Word of God says I am a "work in progress!"  God has declared He will "fix me" (Phil. 1:6)!  He has stated that I am His "workmanship" (Eph. 2:10)!  He has shown me that I am not alone; the Apostles also struggled with the same things (Rom. 7:15-25; Jam. 5:15-16; 1 Jn. 1:8-10; etc.)!!!  I have joy because He is my God!  I have joy because my future will be spent with Him!  I have joy because I know God had this all worked out before Creation even began (Jn. 17:24; Eph. 1:4; Heb. 4:3; 1 Pet. 1:20; Rev. 13:8; etc.)!!!
 
I am helpless, but Jesus gives me all the reason I need to be hopeful (1 Tim. 1:1)!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment