Sunday, October 13, 2019

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND GOD!


MY FINITE MIND TRYING TO UNDERSTAND AN INFINITE GOD!

Let me begin by saying that I cannot comprehend or relate to an Eternal, Omnipresent, Omniscient, Omnipotent, Triune Being.  And frankly, neither can any of you, if you are totally honest with yourselves.  All we have to go on, is God's description as revealed in the Bible, God's Holy, inspired, revelation of Himself.  In fact, that book even states that "No man has seen God at any time...." (John 1:18; 1 John 4:12).  

Perhaps the main reason our finite minds struggle to understand Him is that before Jesus Christ was conceived and born into this world, God had no physical body!  We are told this in Paul's letter to the church at Philippi:  "Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:  Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:  but made Himself of no reputation, and took upon Him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:  and being found in fashion as a man, He humbled Himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross." (Philippians 2:5-8).

Yes, God is Spirit!  John wrote: "God is a Spiritand they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth." (John 4:24)The two italicized words do not appear in the Greek; they have been added by the translators "for clarity." 

The original Greek text says:  πνευμα ο θεος και τους προσκυνουντας αυτον εν πνευματι και αληθεια δει προσκυνειν There is a slight problem with the King James Version's translation.  For one thing, ο is the definite article, and another, the order of the wording is different.  Literally translated, it should read "Spirit the God and those who worship Him must worship in Spirit and in truth."  

To make matters worse, we are told in Scripture that our minds are vastly inferior to that of God; so how can we really comprehend Him?  "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, saith the LORD.  For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9).

Soooo.  In my futile effort to understand God, the best I can do is use a physical example to keep my mind from exploding!  I picture God as being like water.  H2O, at least for me, shows that there are two persons of the Trinity in heaven and one here on earth.  The Father and the Son are presently in heaven, and the Holy Spirit is here amongst us.  Water is also able to exist in three states:  it becomes a vapor when it is subjected to heat; it becomes a solid when it is subjected to cold; and between the two extremes, it remains a liquid.  In all three states, it is still water.  I picture Jesus becoming a solid when He came in the flesh; I picture the Holy Spirit as a gaseous state, sort of like the air in the wind; and I picture the Father as being the natural state of being liquid-like, moving wherever the physical world allows Him to flow.  He does not force Himself on His creation, but fills every place that does not resist Him!

I know some of you "theologians" out there will say that this is modalism, and therefore heresy, but nevertheless, if it helps us intelligence-challenged folks to understand, then so be it.  I will say this in closing:  those who profess to understand God are lacking in the humility which comes with true wisdom.  Knowing God love me, and that His Only Begotten Son willingly died for my sins, is even more difficult to comprehend!  All I can say is thank you Lord for your mercy and your grace!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment