Friday, November 19, 2010

I AM NOT A KNOW-IT-ALL

For most of my life, I have been accused of being a know-it-all, and it has always bugged me. In fact, the longer I attended school, the more I realized how little I knew. I have a four year masters, and yet, I know so little about the Book on which I am supposed to be an expert. To be honest, I have to say that there is far more about the Bible that I don't know than the little I do. There are several sections that I don't even bother reading anymore, because I have no clue as to what they are saying. But, the parts that I do understand are absolutely clear to me, and I have no doubt about their meaning. And, regardless of whether or not I understand passages, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are the Word of God.

The Apostle John might have been viewed as a know-it-all by his contemporaries, because he used forms of the word "know" more than any writer in the New Testament. In First John alone, he used it thirty-eight times. Here are some of the things John knew from a single chapter: those who know Jesus keep His commandments (2:3-5); hateful people are blind to the truth (2:11); he could recognize true believers in Christ (2:13-14); he knew there were many antichrists (2:18); the person who is filled with the Spirit knows what God knows (2:20-21 cp. 3:20); God is righteous, and those who know Him live in righteousness (2:29).

My favorite Bible verse is First John 3:2 which says, "Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not appear what we shall be; but we know that, when He shall appear, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. Do you get it? Now we know we shall be like Him! I know that even though I am not like Him now, I also know that one day, I will be. He is at work conforming me to the image of His Son (Rom. 8:29; Phil. 3:10). Job looked forward to being changed (Job. 14:14). Paul wrote, "For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality" (1 Cor. 15:53).

Another verse from First John that is very important says, "These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God, that ye may know that ye have eternal life..." (5:13). Not only do we know that we are now the children of God, but our relationship to Him is eternal! Salvation is a gift. It cannot be returned, exchanged, or re-gifted. It is as permanent as the One who gave it! It is ours, as is the knowledge that the Giver loves us and will always love us, eternally love us! Praise God!

If you want to consider me a know-it-all, fine, but "...I know Whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day" (2 Tim. 1:12). When it comes to my relationship with Almighty God, I KNOW! And you can too. God is no respecter of persons; what He has done for me, He is more than willing to do for you. Put your trust in Jesus and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment