Saturday, November 20, 2010

JESUS IS THE LIGHTHOUSE

I chose Skip's Lighthouse as the name of my blog for a couple of reasons: my nickname is Skip and the symbol for our church is a lighthouse. It also didn't hurt that one of my favorite songs is "The Lighthouse" written by Ronnie Hinson in 1971, and ironically, that was the year I accepted Christ as my Lord and Savior. The song is filled with metaphors about the struggles of life and how Jesus guides believers safely through them. Here is the first verse and chorus with some small changes in capitalization, punctuation, and wording:

There's a Lighthouse on the hillside that overlooks life's sea.
When I'm tossed, It sends out a light, tis a light that I might see.
And the light that shines in darkness now, will safely lead me o'er.
If it wasn't for the Lighthouse, my ship would be no more.

And I thank God for the Lighthouse, I owe my life to Him.
For Jesus is the Lighthouse, and from the rocks of sin;
He has shown a light around me, that I might clearly see.
If it wasn't for the Lighthouse, tell me where would this ship be.

My grandson Corey and his wife Hope, bought me a very special gift from the local Bible Book Store. It is a large, framed, beautiful picture of a lighthouse surrounded by raging seas. If you look closely at it, you can see a man calmly standing outside on the platform, with waves breaking all around him. The caption on it says, "The Lord is my Rock, my Fortress, and my Deliverer; my God is my Rock in Whom I take refuge." It is taken from Psalm 18:2, but there are other Bible verses that could just as well have been chosen: Jonah 1:6 speaks of the Gentile crew telling Jonah that they know his God can save their ship. 2 Peter 3:9 tells us that God does not want any to perish. Or what about Jesus, Who many times referred to Himself as the "I Am," when he said, "I Am the light of the world?" (Jn. 8:12; 9:5). Perhaps you might think of others.

In a sense, this blog has saved my life. While lying in a hospital bed, after being told that I may not make it through the night, a preacher asked if he could say a prayer for me. I told him only if he prayed that should God would allow me to live, that He would provide me with a ministry that I might continue to witness for Him. It was my pastor that set this blog up for me to share my thoughts on Jesus. I honestly believe that I am alive today for the purpose of telling others about Him.

So if you are reading this, praise God; and if you are reading this, please do two things: "bookmark" this site, and tell those for whom it may be a blessing. Thanks for taking the time today. And, look up - JESUS IS OUR SOON-RETURNING LORD! .

No comments:

Post a Comment