Monday, November 15, 2010

IT IS WRITTEN

The word "written" appears many times in the Scriptures, and it carries with it the idea that what has been written is truth. Just as what God spoke was truth, what He gave to those who wrote the Scriptures is also true (Gen. 3:1-19; 2 Tim. 3:16). God told Moses that He had written the commandments (Ex. 24:12). Warnings were written (2 Kgs. 22:13). Curses were written (2 Chron. 34:24). Prophecies were written, especially concerning the coming of the Anointed One (Lk. 22:37; 24:13-27). The entire Bible is declared to be the truth of God (2 Tim. 3:16). And in case there are skeptics out there who take the time to read what I write, the Apostle Peter confirmed that what Paul wrote was Scripture (2 Pet. 3:15-16).

But Houston, we have a problem! While nearly all students of the Word of God will acknowledge that the original writings were written by God's inspiration, many question the accuracy of subsequent copies. Yesterday, I addressed an apparent contradiction found when one compares Isaiah 61:1-2 with Luke 4:18-19. Some commentators suggest that Jesus was reading from the Greek version of the Old Testament called the Septuagint. They say that because the common language of the people was Koine Greek, they must have used the Septuagint in the synagogues. That is an odd suggestion as we have copies of the Dead Sea Scrolls in Hebrew. Regardless, if the Septuagint was a Greek translation of the Hebrew, would not the translators have taken as much care to preserve its accuracy as the copiers of the Hebrew text? And wouldn't Jesus, the very Word Himself, have said something about the differences?

I suggest there is a much simpler explanation for the difference: Jesus did not read the text, but as I pointed out yesterday, He interpreted it. The custom in the synagogue of that day was for a person to stand when he wanted to read the Scripture for the worship service. The Rabbi in authority would hand the scroll to the person, and they read. In the case of Luke's Gospel, it says that Jesus "stood up for to read" (Lk. 4:16). What it does not say is that Jesus read the scroll which was handed to Him; He simply opened to it, and began presenting its meaning. As I pointed out yesterday, no one would be amazed at the "gracious words which proceeded out of His mouth," if He merely read what was written. Their response was clearly the result of what Jesus said. Similar responses to His words are found in Luke 2:46-47 and Mark 6:2.

I do not know where the original writings are, and even if I did, I couldn't read them, nor could I compare the Masoretic manuscripts to the Dead Sea Scrolls or the Septuagint. I do not claim to be, nor do I desire to be involved in "textual criticism." I was saved by believing the Word of God as presented in the King James Bible, and I will continue to believe what it says. To the skeptics, the critics, and those who do not believe in the Bible in any form, I make no apology. I believed in Jesus by faith in what was written of Him in my Bible. I believe the King James is best for me. Why shouldn't I? After all, "faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God" (Rom. 10:17). I believe, so to me, it is absolutely the Word of God!

No comments:

Post a Comment