Monday, February 25, 2013

"SATAN'S WHISPERS"

If I am not careful, I have a tendency to fall into the trap of "Satan's whispers."  You know, like when cartoonists show a little angel on one shoulder, and a little devil on the other, each whispering "advice" in the ear of a person being tempted.  And when I have chosen to ignore my "guardian angel" (Ps. 91:9-11; Mt. 18:10), that is when the other's "whispers" change from tempting me to do something wrong, into tempting me to doubt my salvation.  Satan is quick to point out that what I had just done is inconsistent with being a Christian, and that I am not saved.  He knows better than to "tell me" that I have lost my salvation, as he is fully aware that I know a born again believer's relationship with the Father is eternal (Jn. 3:3-17; Phil. 1:6; etc.); so he tries to tell me I was never saved in the first place.  I may not be consistent, but he sure is; he is a liar and has been trying to get man to doubt his relationship with God from the beginning (Gen. 3:1-5; Jn. 8:44; 1 Jn. 2:22; etc.).

So when I sin, as I frequently do, I am immediately "bombarded" from both "shoulders."  On one, the grieving Holy Spirit is convicting me of my sin, with the intent of getting me to confess my sin and be cleansed from its unrighteousness (Eph. 4:30; 1 Jn. 1:8-10).  On the other, Satan gleefully points out my failure in order to discourage me.  He knows that he cannot cause me to lose my salvation, but he wants to "shut me up" so that I no longer share the Gospel.  It doesn't work!  The Holy Spirit always reminds me that, like the Apostle Paul, I must struggle to walk in the Spirit so as to not give place to the flesh.  Notice how often Paul used the present tense in Romans 7:14-25.       

[14] For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
[15] For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
[16] If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
[17] Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
[18] For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
[19] For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
[20] Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
[21] I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
[22] For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
[23] But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
[24] O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
[25] I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

If born again believers are already sinless, why are we told to be transformed into the image of Christ (Rom. 12:1-2)?  And why does the Word say we will not be Christ-like until we see Him (1 Jn. 3:2)?
 
Listen to God's still, small voice; it will be the one telling you the truth!

No comments:

Post a Comment