Saturday, February 16, 2013

THE WORK OF REPENTANCE

Yesterday, I quoted these two verses to show that the faith which produces salvation involves the combination of two factors:  repentance (turning from one's own way of life) and believing Jesus is Lord (turning to Jesus as Lord of one's life). 
1)  "For John came unto you in the way of righteousness, and ye believed him not: but the publicans and the harlots believed him: and ye, when ye had seen it, repented not afterward, that ye might believe him" (Mt. 21:32).
2)  "And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel" (Mk. 1:15).

Today, I want to describe how repentance takes place.  Our repentance is the work of God! 

*  This can be clearly seen in three verses from Psalm 80:
    [3] Turn us again, O God, and cause Thy face to shine; and we shall be saved.
    [7] Turn us again, O God of hosts, and cause Thy face to shine; and we shall be saved.
    [19] Turn us again, O LORD God of hosts, cause Thy face to shine; and we shall be saved.

*  This is the convicting work of the Holy Spirit as is seen in John 16:
    [7]    Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not
             away the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send Him unto you.
    [8]    And when He is come, He will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness,
             and of judgment:
    [9]    Of sin, because they believe not on Me;
    [10]  Of righteousness, because I go to My Father, and ye see Me no more;
    [11]  Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

*  This conviction comes from hearing the Gospel message found in 1 Corinthians 15:
    [3]   For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for
            our sins according to the scriptures;
    [4]   And that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the scriptures.
 
Like salvation, repentance is a gift, and not of our own works lest any man should boast!

No comments:

Post a Comment