Friday, March 22, 2013

WHEN BETTER IS NOT ALWAYS BEST

Human nature is always wanting things to be better.  In our youth, we want a better gaming system, better sneakers, a better complexion, and usually, better parents.  College "agers" want a better dorm room or apartment, better professors, a better computer, and of course, better parents.  By the time we get married, we want a better house, a better car (or cars), a better career, better pay, and of course, better parents (that is because the ones we have are constantly telling us how to raise our kids).  But, there came a time in my life when I became content with what I had.  Why not?  I have a wife I have grown to appreciate, the kids, grandkids, and great grandkids all have a different address from ours, I am retired from a life of good jobs, we have enough money to enjoy a meal out three or four times a week, etc.  Life is good. 

And, even though things are not perfect, they are a lot better than earlier in life, or so most of us think.  But I would suggest that by the time we become satisfied, we have wasted a lifetime by being discontented.  How much better would our youth, our college years, those many years of working "for a living," have been if we had realized we were in the exact place God wanted us? 

God's Word tells the born again believer to be content in all things, regardless of our age or our circumstances.  Luke 3:14 says, "...be content with your wages."  Philippians 4:11 says, "Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content."  In 1 Timothy 6:8, we read, "And having food and raiment let us be therewith content." And in Hebrews 13:5, the writer says, "...be content with such things as ye have...."

Yes, contentment with what one has been given by God serves as a humble testimony of His grace toward us, and as a witness to His glory.  Proverbs 30:8-9 says, "Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me:  lest I be full, and deny thee, and say, Who is the LORD? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God in vain."  And, if you are always wanting to better your circumstances, or you are disappointed in your spiritual growth, you must have forgotten whose job it is to make you like His Son (Phil. 1:6)!

Spiritual maturity comes when we realize we are exactly where God wants us to be!
   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment