Sunday, May 11, 2014

THE PERFECT MOTHER

Let me begin by saying that there is not now, nor has there ever been, a perfect mother.  Mothers, just like the rest of humanity, are sinners.  The closest to a perfect mother one can have, is a born again, Spirit-filled woman; but unfortunately, just like the rest of us born again, oft Spirit-filled human beings, mothers "leak"; that is, they grieve and quench the Spirit, and in so doing, cease to be "filled."  They, like the rest of the children of God by faith in Jesus Christ, groan while waiting to be made like their Creator.  Born again mothers long for that day when they finally are transformed into the perfect likeness of Jesus, and finally, deserve the "best mother in the world" Hallmark cards.

That being said, members of the Body of Christ can learn a lot about what it means to be a Christian from observing mothers.  As I look back over the fifty plus years my wife and I have been married, I have come to not only respect my wife for all she has and is doing, but for the example she has set for our children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and me!  Let me tell you a little about Judy.

Judy was sixteen when I, an eighteen year old sailor, asked her to marry me.  Because she knew I loved and respected her, she said yes.  It takes a brave girl, one whose relationship to her future husband was mostly via mail and an occasional long-distance phone call.  We were engaged one year to the day, prior to our wedding; a year she spent as a Senior in High School!  Judy graduated, and I snatched her off to Washington, D.C.; the Philippines; San Diego; Pensacola; and D.C. again to finish out "our" Navy career.  I say "our," because without her support, I would never had made it.  As most of you know, military pay was pathetic between 1959-1978; Judy always earned extra money by taking baby-sitting (what they called "daycare" then).  She managed to feed a growing family on very little money budgeted for food; we did not have the advantage of food stamps, food pantries, etc.  She made do.  She made clothing for our three daughters, and even though she didn't have nice clothes herself, our girls always were clean and neatly dressed.

As our daughters married, and began having their own children, Judy was there to help each "new mother" with her "addition."  The same is true for our granddaughters.  I do not recall a single child born into our extended family, that was not greeted by Judy's loving arms!  She would do, and still does, anything within her power to help her family!

I must add in closing, that during the first nine years of our marriage, I was an alcoholic.  When I became a born again believer in Christ, I stopped drinking, but I have never totally stopped being a jerk.  I wish that were not the case, but I too am waiting for that day when I will be like Jesus!


So, this Mother's Day, I want to honor the best mother I have ever known:  Judy!

No comments:

Post a Comment