Sunday, June 22, 2014

PRAYER SHOULD FOCUS UPON THE GLORY OF GOD

The area in which I, and apparently many other born again believers struggle, is prayer.  I believe I have treated my wife with love, so I don't think that is the problem (1 Pet. 3:7).  I have acknowledged my sins, so it is not un-confessed sin that hinders my prayers (1 Jn. 1:5-10).  I know I am "praying right," because Jesus taught His disciples how to pray (Mt. 6:9-13; Lk. 11:1-4).  So why is prayer so difficult?

I believe it is because we are sensual beings; we relate to our community and environment through our senses.  I have never seen God, and have only experienced hearing Him on a handful of occasions, so when I pray, I very seldom receive feedback.  Prayer, at least for me, is a one-sided "conversation," and I long for God's voice to answer questions, give me directions, and comfort me.  After all, that is what I receive when I am with my brothers and sisters in Christ!  I cannot wait to be with Him!  In the mean time:
 
The Lord's Model Prayer

Our Father - "our" is plural; He is not "my" God, but "our" God!  Only born again believers have a right to call God Father (Jn. 1:12; 3:3-9; Rom. 8:14-17; 1 Jn. 3:1-2).
Which art in heaven - "I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and His train filled the temple" (Isa. 6:1; see also Mt. 23:22; Heb. 12:2).
Hallowed be Thy name - "Let them praise Thy great and terrible name; for it is holy" (Ps. 99:3).
Thy kingdom come - "And He shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of His kingdom there shall be no end" (Lk. 1:33).  "And He hath on His vesture and on His thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS" (Rev. 19:16)!
Thy will be done (on) earth, as it is in heaven - He is our Lord, and when He returns, He will rule His kingdom with a rod of iron (Ps. 2:9; Rev. 2:7; 12:5; 19:15; etc.).
Give us this day, our daily bread - He will meet the needs of His children on a daily basis (Ex. 16; Mt. 6:25-34; etc.).
And forgive us our (sins) AS we forgive (those who sin against us) - Mt. 18:15-35; 1 Jn. 1:8-10; etc.).
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from (the evil one) - Note that God's children are aware that we are to be led by our Lord!  Also compare Mt. 4:1 with 1 Cor. 10:13 and Jam. 1:13).
For Thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory, forever.  Amen! - (Rev. 4:11; 16:6; etc.).


"Throne," "Lord," "Kingdom," "Lead us"; Do these words describe your view of Jesus?




  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment