Thursday, June 19, 2014

TRUE MIRACLES HAPPEN RIGHT ON TIME!

I once heard a seminary professor make the statement that there are no such things as miracles.  I was not surprised.  Nearly all of the professors denied that the Bible was "as advertised."  They believe it was "messed with for years," until it said what the modernist theologian wanted it to say.  I spent four years respectfully disagreeing with them, which is an education in and of itself!  I found that very difficult to comprehend, since there are thousands of Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek copies still in existence today.  When the Dead Sea Scrolls were compared to the ancient texts, they confirmed the authenticity of each other! 

Getting back to the subject of miracles, when a professor said that the Jordan River drying up so that the children of Israel could cross (Josh. 3:17) was not a miracle, but a landslide upriver that temporarily blocked the flow.  My question was, "Who caused the landslide at that precise moment?"  And when he could answer that one, I asked, "And how was the ground made dry so quickly?"  When he smiled and said nothing, I asked, "The same question applies to the Hebrew Exodus out of Egypt; not only did the water stop flowing, but the ground was dry; who did that?"  And while we are on the subject, "How was it that the "shallow marshes" turned dry, could drown the Egyptian army when the waters returned?"  I was not a popular student.

My salvation experience was a similar miracle.  I was an atheist when one man witnessed to me in Pensacola, one man sent me a pocket New Testament from San Diego, I read a single chapter on a fluke, my daughters turned on a Dolphin Way Baptist Church on TV, and the preacher preached on that very chapter:  the odds of all those things happening in order, and in a very short time span, had to be guided by someone or something!  I had no doubt that it was God, and God got my attention!

Today, some forty-three years later, my morning was "time controlled" by a doctors appointment.  After what seemed like an eternity, I left there to go get a haircut.  I had not eaten anything "all day," but still, I chose to go to the barbershop first.  I walked in and Brandon, the young owner, a man in his early forties, a man who had only accepted Christ a few months before, greeted me with unexpected enthusiasm.  He had been talking to a young, brand new convert, and wanted me to answer J.P.'s many questions.  After about an hour, J.P. was satisfied with the few question I could answer, and after taking my blog address, he left.  Brandon was amazed at the preciseness of my arrival, and I was delighted to have had the opportunity to share my faith with the two of them.

So, what I have said all this to say, not only does God still do miracles, He does them exactly when they are needed!  Jesus healed Lazarus, but He did it when He raised him from the dead!  The miracle was right on time; if Jesus had healed his sickness, we would not have the record that so blesses God's children today!  Water stops and the land is dry; water returns and drowns the enemy.  A Bible is sent, a chapter is read, a sermon is prepared, a witness takes place, and children turn on a preacher:  the miracle is in God's perfect timing!  What difference does it make if he uses a landslide; the point is, God is a God of miracles!


The greatest miracle I ever saw was God open my eyes and my heart!  

No comments:

Post a Comment