Friday, July 15, 2016

WHAT DOES THE BIBLE MEAN BY "CONFESS"

As a former Roman Catholic, I frequently "went to confession."  I would declare my sins, and the Priest would tell me what I had to do to get forgiveness.  Usually, it was saying a few "Hail Marys," or when I had really messed up, he would tell me I needed to recite the Rosary a few times.  The Rosary, for non-Catholics, is a series of declarations; they basically are as follows:  Make the Sign of the Cross.  Holding the Crucifix, say the Apostles' Creed, then "Our Father,"  three "Hail Marys," one "Glory Be," fifty more "Hail Marys," then one "Holy Queen."   I no longer claim any denomination, but recognize I am a born again believer by faith in the one and only Mediator:  Jesus Christ (1 Tim. 2:5).  I also recognize that I am still a sinner, and that, according to 1 John 1:9, I need to acknowledge my sin to God,  and ask for His cleansing. 

As can be seen from the twelve passages below, to confess something, is to acknowledge it as fact.  Salvation (the new birth - John 3:1-18).  Jesus, God in the flesh (John 1:1, 14), must be acknowledged as one's Lord (Romans 10:9)!   [He is the Son of God]

       Matthew 10:32 - "Whosoever therefore shall confess Me before men, him will I confess also before My Father which is in heaven."  [Son of God]
       Luke 12:8-9 - "Also I say unto you, Whosoever shall confess Me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God:  But he that denieth Me before men shall be denied before the angels of God."  [He is the Son of Man]
       John 1:20 - "And (John the baptizer) confessed, and denied not; but confessed, I am not the Christ."  [John acknowledged the truth - he was not the Christ]
       John 9:22 - "These words spoke his parents, because they feared the Jews:  for the Jews had agreed already, that if any man did confess that He was Christ, he should be put out of the synagogue."  [Confessing Christ publically has consequences]
       Acts 23:8 - "For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, neither angel, nor spirit:  but the Pharisees confess both."  [They acknowledged both]
       Acts 24:14 - "But this I confess unto thee, that after The Way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the Law and in the Prophets."  [See John 14:6]
       Romans 10:9-11 - "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.  For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.  For the Scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on Him shall not be ashamed."  [He is Lord]
       Hebrews 11:13 - "These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth."  [Acknowledged they were citizens of heaven]
       1 John 1:9 - "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."  [Agree with the Word that what I did was a sin]
       1 John 4:2-3 - "Hereby know ye the Spirit of God:  Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:  And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God:  and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world."  [Confessing Him shows we are God's]
       1 John 4:15 - "Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God."  [God, the Spirit, indwells born again believers (John 14:17; Acts 5:3-4)]
       2 John 2:17 - "For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh.  This is a deceiver and an antichrist."  [All who refuse to confess Jesus are against Him]


Salvation is the result of believing in Jesus Christ as your Lord,
and acknowledging Him publically!

No comments:

Post a Comment