Monday, October 25, 2010

GOD'S CALL

I have a friend who occasionally reads my daily thoughts, and he tells me that I should still be serving God as a pastor somewhere. I could take that to mean he thinks I am being unfaithful in my service for God, but I really don't think that is what he means. He may be trying to encourage me by telling me that what I have written blesses him. Or possibly, he actually feels that I would be of more use to God if I were to serve as the shepherd of a local congregation. Regardless of what interpretation I place upon it, it has made me think, "Should I have continued serving God as a pastor?"

I never wanted to be a pastor in the first place, but apparently God has a sense of humor, because shortly after my graduation from seminary, I received a phone call from the search committee of a little Baptist Church in Western Kentucky. My wife of twenty-eight years was against it, for she knew, as did I, that I was far from being a spiritual leader in the family, let alone as the leader of a church. After telling them that I was not "their man," God spoke to me and said, "You go, and let her come on weekends." I am proof of what God's Word says about His choosing the "base things of the world" (1 Cor. 1:28).

I served at Bethany Baptist Church for over two years, and during that time, I felt God's presence and anointing every day. God had a purpose for me to be there, and after that work was accomplished, it was time for me to leave. God used some of the same search committee to tell me my work there was finished. I told you, God has a sense of humor.

Shortly after leaving Bethany, I was asked to teach in a Christian school. I spent nine years there, serving as a teacher and as a principal. Those were the happiest years of my Christian life. I loved the kids, and I loved teaching them. After leaving, I suffered with depression for nearly three years. I did not feel the same when I left Bethany; I felt relieved. I believe God gives His servants joy when they are serving Him where He wants them. I also believe that He removes it when He wants us to leave.

I would accept a call to teach in a heartbeat, because I believe I have the spiritual gift of teaching (1 Cor. 12:28). More importantly, others believe that is my calling. Although I was ordained as a pastor, I do not believe that being ordained necessarily qualifies one to be a pastor for life. The Lord decides. Being a pastor for a specific time, in a specific place, for a specific purpose, is the extent of God's call to that particular place of ministry. Some believe that being ordained is like having a license for an occupation; I believe it merely makes one available to serve when, where, and if God chooses. It will take a clear, undeniable call from God before I ever even considered being a pastor again. I would be very much afraid to ever tackle that position without a clear call from God. The souls of a congregation are far too precious to be handled by the wrong man for the job, and without His call and anointing, no man is qualified!

No comments:

Post a Comment