Thursday, October 28, 2010

PROMISES, PROMISES, PROMISES

I have learned over the years that when it comes to promises, human beings cannot be trusted. However, I saw myself as an exception because I have always prided myself in being a man of my word. If I said I would do something, you could "bank on it." Unfortunately, the older I get, the less it appears that others can count on me. That's how it works; anything involving pride is destined to result in being humbled.

I have noticed that my memory is deteriorating as I age, and it is beginning to bother me. It is embarrassing. I was the one who insisted that the monthly gathering of the "older folks," which we call the "Joy Club," be held in a month when the leaders had not planned for it. And then, wouldn't you know it, I totally forgot. Of course, my grand kids and their kids visiting was a distraction, but I still received some dirty looks the following Sunday. And, it was I who got on our pastor for not holding Wednesday night Bible studies during the summer, only to miss the second week after they resumed because I simply forgot. The worst thing about becoming forgetful is that others, who forget to tell you something, can always say they did and blame it on you.

One of the greatest differences between Christianity and politics is the value of promises. Politicians are infamous for telling us what we want to hear, with absolutely no intention of following through on them. If they are not exaggerating the supposed weaknesses of their opponent, they are exaggerating their own ability and intent to "fix what's broken." To hear them talk, you would think they could walk on water. Of all their promises, ending abortion is my "litmus test" for earning my vote. I wish I could say that pro-life candidates would stop the slaughter of the most innocent of human beings, but Ronald Reagan, George Bush, and George W. Bush all failed. And even if the Congress is returned to the Republicans, they will not change the law; Republicans held both houses of Congress under Reagan!

God, on the other hand, keeps every single one of His promises. The word, "promises" does not appear in the Old Testament, but "promise" is there forty-two times. Also, a "prophecy," by its very definition, is a promise from God. And, the prophecies which have already been fulfilled were all fulfilled literally. Every single promise concerning the Messiah's coming as a sacrifice has been fulfilled exactly as God had promised. And, because of that, I am absolutely certain that the rest of His promises, which are to take place in the future, literally will occur. "For all the promises of God in Him are yea, and in Him, amen, unto the glory of God by us" (2 Cor. 1:20).

I will end with a warning. Should you know someone who is having a problem with memory due to age, be patient and do not think more highly of yourself than you ought; if you are fortunate, you too will get old. Job said it well: "Cast abroad the rage of Thy wrath; and behold everyone that is proud, and abase him. Look on everyone that is proud and bring him low; and tread down the wicked in their place" (Job 40:11-12).

No comments:

Post a Comment