Friday, October 29, 2010

SHOW AND TELL

Most everyone has heard the saying, "Seeing is believing." And while it seems logical for a person to want to see evidence that proves what someone is saying it true, in reality, convincing evidence changes the skeptic's mind from doubting to knowing. Actual belief is not part of the equation. A more accurate statement would be, "Seeing is knowing." Webster defines "believe" as "to take as true, to have confidence in, to trust, or to have religious faith." For a person to "believe" something, there must be a lack of total certainty; there must be some doubt.

Christians tend to view doubt as the opposite of faith, which is weird since the Word of God clearly teaches that faith produces hope, not absolute certainty. It is the lack of certainty that something is true which defines faith. In Romans 8:24-25, Paul writes: "For we are saved by hope; but hope that is seen is not hope; for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for (it)? But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it." The writer of Hebrews stated: "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen" (Heb. 11:1). Words like "trust," "faith," "believe," "hope," etc. are all somewhat short of "know."

Having faith in Christ does not necessarily mean that a person has faith in Him in all circumstances. Peter had enough faith in Christ to step out of the boat, but when he was faced with the reality of his situation, he doubted (Matt. 14:31). One of the twelve disciples is known today as "doubting Thomas." In John 20:19-29, we are told that Thomas doubted the testimony of the rest of the disciples, stating, "Except I shall see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into His side, I will not believe" (v. 25). Jesus implied that Thomas' faith was weak in comparison to those who believe in Him by faith. Thomas was not the only one to doubt, for all of the disciples doubted when the women came telling of Christ's resurrection (Lk. 24:1-11).

It is interesting that the chosen people of God, the Jews, need to see to believe. "For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom" (1 Cor. 1:22). You would think that it would be the other way around. The religious leaders of Israel were constantly reasoning together about Jesus (Matt. 16:7; 21:25; Mk. 2:8; Lk. 20:14-15). Paul reasoned with the Jews, as well (Acts 17:2; 18:4, 19; 24:25). And God, Himself, called on the Jews to reason together with Him (Isa. 1:18).

I am not aware of having any Jewish ancestors, but my whole Christian experience has been marked by signs from God. I am glad that I am no longer like a "Greek" by nature, because it was logic and reasoning that caused me to become an atheist. God saved me by showing me His control over my circumstances; I saw the irrefutable evidence that He loves me, and I surrendered to His Lordship. Perhaps He has revealed Himself to me because I was born in St. Louis; you know, the "Show me" state. That is why I write this blog; He has shown Himself to me, and I have to tell others about Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment