Saturday, October 30, 2010

WHAT IS YOUR ANSWER?

Because it is almost time for the mid-term elections, I am frequently receiving phone calls asking me if I am going to vote, and for whom. I try not to be rude, but because they irritate me, I am not sure I succeed. Someone needs to tell the candidates that election polls, both pre- and post-, are not only inaccurate, they are an invasion of privacy. In America, we vote in secret to protect the voter from being strong-armed by some unethical politician (as if there are many ethical ones). For whom I vote is my business; I only register as a Democrat so that I can vote in the primary elections. I am not a Democrat, nor am I a Republican; I am a political Independent. The same party that gave us Reagan, also gave us Nixon. The same party that gave us Roosevelt, also gave us Obama (wait, that may not be a contrast). It may be better if I use Truman and Obama. The only people I know who enjoy the campaign season are the media; think of the vast amount of money they make for spreading lies, distortions, and fraud. I hope they tithe. I'm just kidding, what I really meant to say is, "I hope they get saved!" Oops, there I go judging again. Oh well, by their fruit....

Although the general public would never stand for it, I would prefer it if someone would call me and ask me if I am a Christian. Imagine "Big Brother" rallying the lawyers to take us to court for using the telephone to spread religion. After all, with governmental "ownership" of automobile manufacturing companies and banks, can television, radio, and the phone companies be far behind? They apparently already have "Judas'" in churches reporting the political activity of Pastors. I wonder if anyone on my "friends list" from Facebook has "ratted me out" for being a political and religious "subversive?" If not, it is just a matter of time, because I refuse to "toe the company line!"

Speaking of asking and being asked questions on politics and religion, have you ever asked someone if they are a Christian? I have, and it is amazing how people answer. I have heard, "I am a Catholic."; "I am a Mormon."; "I am a Baptist."; etc.; more than "yes" or "no." The sad thing is, those who answer by naming a denomination, mainline or cult, are a member of that group, but very possibly are not a member of the Body of Christ. Born-again Christians tell you they are Christians first, and then they might tell you where they have been led by God to worship. I was a Southern Baptist preacher, but I am not a Southern Baptist. I believe in the gifts of the Spirit, but I am not a Pentecostal. I attend a church, Charlestown Independent Church, but I am not independent; I am totally dependent upon Jesus Christ. "Let the redeemed of the Lord say so... (Ps. 107:2). After that, if "the redeemed" want to invite someone to their place of worship, fine, but don't be surprised if they quickly tell you of their "brand of Christianity."

The answer of the Christian to others should be guided by 1 Peter 3:15: "...be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear." Our answer should be like Paul's: "Paul, and apostle of Jesus Christ by the commandment of God our Savior, and the Lord Jesus Christ, which is our hope..." (1 Tim. 1:1). Are you a Christian?

No comments:

Post a Comment