Sunday, October 24, 2010

GRATITUDE

Psalm 100: "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands. Serve the LORD with gladness; come before His presence with singing. Know ye that the LORD, He is God; it is He who hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are His people and the sheep of His pasture. Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise; be thankful unto Him and bless His name. For the LORD is good; His mercy is everlasting and His truth endureth to all generations."

The words "thankful" and "thankfulness" only appear four times in the Word of God, and yet, the Entire Bible presents the reason mankind should be thankful: God loves us! It is impossible for a believer to be ungrateful toward the One who sent His only begotten Son to die for us; to the One who sent the Holy Spirit to give us faith and a new birth; and to the One who will share eternity with those who believe in Him (Jn. 3:15; 3:16; 14:17; 3:3-8; Eph. 2:8-9). The two greatest characteristics of a true believer are gratitude and humility.

In Genesis 1:26, God tells us through the writing of Moses, that His intention was for man to be like Him, and through the Apostle John, that the believer will one day fulfill His intention (1 Jn. 3:2). I cannot wait until the day I am like Jesus! But I will be the first to tell you that I am certainly far from being like Him now. I have enough trouble loving my family and friends; I find it impossible to love my enemies. God not only loves His enemies, "...He is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil" (Lk. 6:35). That seems impossible when one thinks about how He feels about unthankfulness. In 2 Timothy 3:2-4, Paul lists unthankfulness with "lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unholy, without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, traitors, heady, high-minded, and lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God." Ingratitude is a horrible sin!

I know that Christians are supposed to do things for those in need without expecting repayment or even a pat on the back. In fact, those deeds done in secret will be greatly rewarded in heaven. But I have a difficult time with some of those we have helped who have not even said, "thank you." You would think if someone gave you a car, a truck, or provided you with a place to stay free of charge for years, that you would be at least respectful. I hope and pray that I have never been ungrateful toward those who have helped us over the years. I also pray that I can get over this feeling of hurt and anger. I know I am wrong to feel this way, because it doesn't feel very loving. It is sin, and I confess it. Lord, I pray that you will take away these feelings, and forgive me. I am grateful that I didn't have to be like Jesus in order to be saved, and I am grateful that You will complete my metamorphosis soon. Thank You Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment