Saturday, December 11, 2010

THE BEST LAID PLANS ... OFTEN GO AWRY

Once a month, the senior citizens of our church, and an occasional mid-lifer, meet to share a potluck dinner and play table games. The group is known as the Joy Club, and I have truly enjoyed spending a few hours with Christian brothers and sisters on a regular basis. In fact, I seem to be more enthused about it than most who attend, as I was the one who insisted we not skip a meeting regardless of some scheduling conflicts. We meet in the church fellowship hall and simply enjoy the food and fellowship.

I have planned to attend every time the group has met, but something has interfered for the last few months. I am not sure if it is the Devil who hinders our attending, or if the Lord has different plans for those times. Whichever, I am not only disappointed, I dread facing the "where were you guys?" questions the following Sunday. As of last night, I have missed the last four gatherings in a row. I don't even want to think about what everyone must be thinking. I am ashamed to say I know what I would be thinking if it were someone else.

It seems that God's plans for us on the past four occasions have not only tested my patience, but they have tested my priorities. Apart from one of the four misses being due to health problems, all have been due to surprise visits from family. I am sorry, but when family shows up at the last minute, my place is to be with them. I am sure there are a small few from the Joy Club who would say I should have advised family members that I would not be home, but with a large family, my announcing we were going to attend a church function, could be viewed as my "declaring my spirituality," or my trying to send them on a "guilt-trip." It just would not be practical or wise to do so.

Last night, I talked my mother-in-law to going with us. Judy and I were in the car, waiting at the end of our driveway for her to join us. I had our ornament for the exchange, and our food ready. When I saw a car's headlights turn onto our street, I breathed a sigh of relief because we were running late. But surprise, surprise; it was our grandson, his wife, and our two sweet great-grandkids, who forgot to tell us they were coming. After we all went inside, my mother-in-law, and our daughter and her husband arrived. Our daughter knew they were coming, and even though she and Dave had decided to come over to our house to see them, they forgot to mention it to us. Since none of us had eaten, we all went to Logan's and everyone split up after that.

Isaiah 55:8 says, "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways saith the Lord." I suppose the word "plans" could easily be inserted in place of "thoughts," or "ways." Ultimately, as a Christian, it is His plan for every moment of my life that really matters. If I can trust Him for my eternity, surely I can trust Him to govern the events of my day. Praise the Lord, Who works all things for good, because I love Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment