Sunday, December 5, 2010

SOMETIMES, EVEN THE LEFT IS RIGHT

Below is an e-mail I sent to Pam Platt of the Courier-Journal, about her editorial in the December 5Th edition. It should not be surprising that it was the main article in the Forum section, as most folks know the Courier-Journal is about as far left as the New York Times. Next to her article was one entitled, "A strange way to honor founders," written by Dana Milbank, who equated permitting two thirds of the states to repeal federal law, with the sucession from the union by southern states over slavery. I will save my thoughts on his article for another time. For now, I will focus upon the views presented by Ms. Platt.

My e-mail:
I would like to commend you on your editorial concerning the use of tax dollars in building a Bible theme park. You are absolutely right; the government has no business in aiding in the spreading of religious information, regardless whether or not the religion is the majority religion of the country. For one thing, I would object if government funds were used to build a religious-oriented business for Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Mormons, etc., and to be fair, none should be used for Christianity either. Secondly, I do not want people who are not committed to Christ running a business which describes itself as a Christian enterprise. The same is true when it comes to teaching Christianity in the public schools. In fact, I do not even want a Roman Catholic or a Mormon teaching my children. Just as I am sure there are many from other Christian denominations, who would not want a Baptist or a Charismatic teaching their children. I go to a specific church because my beliefs line up with those it teaches. If I wanted my kids to believe Catholic doctrine, I would probably be attending a Catholic church.

As far as your thoughts on evolution and creation are concerned, I spent twenty years in the U.S. military defending your right to believe as you choose. I do not know if there is life on other planets in our solar system or in any other, nor do I care. The Bible does not address life elsewhere, but it does say that man was created in the image and likeness of God, and that he was placed on this planet. Certainly, God is not limited in His ability, nor is He obligated to inform us of what He has done elsewhere. But, when He has told us that He is God, that He created man, and has given us the "instruction manual of life," I believe Him. Any serious student of anthropology, geology, and history will certainly find ample evidence that the "science" presented by evolutionists is often misinterpreted, if not fake. Lucy, the latest, greatest find, is a male. Nebraska Man turned out to be a pig's tooth. Multi-strata fossils, strata that are out of sequence, etc. should at least make science a little less arrogant and critical of those who hold differing interpretations. Closed minds are not really looking for truth; they merely want to be right. God has not told us everything, but we have enough to keep us busy until He returns.

Respectfully submitted for your consideration, Paul L. Mutschler

No comments:

Post a Comment