Sunday, December 12, 2010

GOLD

When I listen to the radio, I usually listen to conservative talk shows. I don't always agree with the hosts, but for the most part, I think I listen to reinforce my beliefs, and to get good ideas on how to defend my position on various topics. Although they seem to be kindred spirits, I am frequently disappointed in their attitudes toward the opposition, and to callers who disagree with them. That observation has helped me separate the political from the spiritual on the issues. I do not assume that they are born-again believers in Christ. In fact, I often wonder how their views could be so far from what I believe Christ would say. As I remember the Scripture, Jesus didn't have a problem with politicians; His problem was with the religious.

Recently, I have noticed that their programs are gaining in sponsorship from those "selling gold." Their sales pitch says things like, "gold has never been worth nothing." I am not sure if gold was of any value in the Garden of Eden, but it seems to have soared in popularity from that time until now. There are 393 verses in the Old Testament which mention gold. But when Jesus arrived on the scene, gold apparently became of less importance, because there are only thirty-six verses about gold in the New Testament, with more than half of them (19) being in Revelation. John's vision does not support the advertisers claim concerning the certainty of gold's value. In fact, it says that those who trust in gold will mourn during the Tribulation period (Rev. 18:9-19).

Investors in gold are deceived when they believe gold is increasing in value. The fact is, as the dollar loses value, gold climbs in value, but should one wish to "cash out" to purchase something, the dollars they get are worth less than if they had purchased the item earlier. Since the dollar's value is falling faster than the value of gold increases, investors actually lose money.

Gold in itself is neither good nor bad. It is our attitude toward it that determines whether or not God approves of our having it. The Magi who came to Jesus bearing gifts, brought gold to show respect and honor for the Son of God (Matt. 2:11). Gold is used to symbolize the best works a Christian does for Christ (1 Cor. 3:12). The writer of Hebrews reminded his readers that the censer of the Tabernacle was made of gold (9:4), and gold is mentioned in a positive way numerous times in Revelation 1:12, 13, 20; 2:1; 4:4; 5:8; 8:3; 14:14; 15:6, 7; 21:15, 18, 21.

Gold is not the problem, it is "the love of money that is the root of all evil" (1 Tim. 6:10). When money is our priority, Scripture describes it as "unrighteous mammon," and "filthy lucre" (Lk. 16:11, 13; Titus 1:7, 11; 1 Pet. 3:2). In the song, "I Wish We'd All Been Ready," there is a line that says, "Children died, the days grew cold, a piece of bread could buy a bag of gold." I wonder how much lusting for gold there will be when a starving person has only a piece of bread; I doubt he will have much interest in purchasing what has become worthless. To show you how much gold is worth to God, the streets of heaven will be paved with it (Rev. 21:21)!

No comments:

Post a Comment