Wednesday, September 5, 2012

GOOD INTENTIONS

Have you ever done something you thought was a good thing, only to find out that your efforts were not appreciated?  I have, and unfortunately, more than once.  There is a proverb, or aphorism, which says, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."  I have always taken that to mean people know what needs to be done, but they put off doing it, and so it never gets done.  However, I believe there may be another logical meaning to the saying.  When one does something they believe is the right thing to do for someone, only to find out that one's actions were not appreciated, it opens the door for Satan to cause dissension, or worse, long lasting hostility.  And unfortunately, the "offended" person usually is not interested in "mending fences." 

Our next door neighbor and his wife are in the military.  They are often gone for long periods of time, and as a result, their grass doesn't get cut.  I decided that as a good neighbor, I would mow their yard for them.  When they returned home, the husband stopped me and told me that his wife did not want me mowing their yard.  Apparently, something about my kindness offended her.  I am not exactly sure why, but I have "taken the hint."

Our next door neighbor on the other side, is a retired single woman who, during the winter months, goes to Florida (it must be nice to be able to do that).  She gave me the combination to her garage door, just in case someone needed access to her home.  I am not exactly sure why.  One day, my wife saw someone she did not recognize entering her house through the back door.  When she told me, I went next door and knocked to see if anyone would answer.  When no one did, I called the police, and I let them enter through the garage to check out the situation.  There was no one there, and nothing seemed to be disturbed.  About an hour later, there was a loud knock at our door.  The lady's son, whom I did not remember ever meeting, was extremely upset that I had called the police, and that they had entered the home.  He warned me to stay away from his mother's house, and left.  When his mother returned in the spring, she also let me know she did not appreciate my actions.
 
"This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.  For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good" (2 Tim. 3:1-3). 
The moral of the story is: be a good neighbor, but don't expect gratitude!        
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment