Sunday, September 23, 2012

PRAYING FOR THE SICK

As is usually the case, I sleep an average of three hours at a time.  This morning was no different.  I awoke at 3:30 a.m. and turned my computer on to "read the news."  There was a request for prayer for a young lady who appeared to be near death.  Because I refuse to "play God" by praying for a specific outcome, I prayed that the Lord's will be done for her. 

The Scripture says, "Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit (Himself) maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.  And He that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because He maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God (Rom. 8:26-27). 

While it is true that 1 John 5:15 says that God hears our prayers, and that He will grant our desires, notice the condition for our will to be done; It is only when our will and His are the same!  "And this is the confidence that we have in Him, that, if we ask any thing according to His will, He heareth us: and if we know that He hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of Him" (1 Jn. 5:14-15).  Yes, He gives us the desires of our heart, but notice the conditions:  "Delight thyself also in the LORD; and He shall give thee the desires of thine heart" (Ps. 37:4).  He does not give you what you want; He gives you "the want" which matches His will! 
   
Because I know it is not God's will that any should perish (spend eternity in the Lake of Fire - 2 Pet. 3:9; Rev. 20:11-15), I prayed that if she was a born again believer, that the Lord would not let her suffer, but would take her unto Himself.  I prayed that if she was not saved, that He would keep her alive long enough for her to be saved.  Regardless, because I know Him and trust He always does the right thing, my prayer (and with all my prayers) ended with "Thy will be done."  From the time I prayed until the time I read this message:  "let everyone know Kathy is now 'chillen' with God in heaven," was a matter of seconds.  I cannot tell you how many times that has happened to me, but I praise the Lord many of my brothers and sisters in the Lord go quickly into His presence!

Prayer is a sign of humility, only if one says,
"...nevertheless, not My will, but Thine, be done" (Lk. 22:42)!

No comments:

Post a Comment