Friday, February 21, 2014

THE BELIEVER'S ONLY HOPE

When I was a practicing Roman Catholic, if someone were to ask me if I would go to heaven if I died today, I would tell them I certainly hope so.  In 1971, I committed my life to Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior, and if I were asked the same question today, I would no longer use the word "hope," but I would confidently declare "Yes!"  What do you suppose made the difference in what my answer would be? 

The difference is, I am no longer basing my faith on my being a Roman Catholic, but today, I am basing my faith on Jesus Christ, and the promises of Almighty God.  As a Catholic, the church taught me that by avoiding "mortal sins," and by participating in the Sacraments, I would make it into His presence.  As a born again believer, the Bible teaches me that I am still a sinner, unworthy of God's salvation (Rom. 7:14-25; Jam. 5:15; 1 Jn. 1:8-10; etc.), that my salvation is a gift; it is not owed to me, but it is because of the grace of God (Eph. 2:8-9)!

The Apostle John wrote in 1 John 3:1-3, "Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew Him not.  Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when He shall appear, we shall be like Him; for we shall see Him as He is.  And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as He is pure."

So, how did I become a son of God?  The answer:  by faith!  In his Gospel, John wrote:  "He came unto His own (the Jewish people), and His own received Him not.  But as many as received Him (whosoever - Mt. 7:24; 10:32; Jn. 3:15-16; 11:25-26; Acts 2:21; 10:43; Rom. 10:13; etc.), to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name" (Jn. 1:11-12).  We are born again when we truly place our faith in the Lord, Jesus Christ!

Our hope is an expectation based upon God's credibility!





No comments:

Post a Comment