Wednesday, September 17, 2014

DISCIPLINING A CHILD

In light of recent events involving a National League Football player, I feel the need to share my thoughts on disciplining children.  The main reason is, forty years ago, when I was disciplining my children, I was guilty of child abuse.  I was a new Christian, and as such, I absorbed sermons like a sponge!  It was all new to me, so I did more listening than studying what all the Word had to say on a subject.  Needless to say, I had, and still have, a lot to learn.

You and I know that the Bible clearly teaches believers to use corporeal punishment.  While "Spare the rod; spoil the child." may be the most quoted non-biblical "verse" in the world, the Word does say that the rod of discipline should be used on a child (Prov. 22:15; 23:13, 14; 29:15).  In fact, for a father to spare using the rod of discipline, means he does not love his child (Prov. 13:24)!  We see this pictured in the Father disciplining all His children because He loves them (Heb. 12:5-8).

But how is the rod to be applied?  For one thing, we are not to use the rod when we are angry.  It is counter-productive.  Proverbs 22:8 says that the rod used by an angry person "shall fail."  The wise father will wait before disciplining his child.  It serves two purposes:  it provides time for anger to subside, and it provides time for the child to think about the foolishness of his actions.

The rod should be used in such a way as to cause some pain, but not hard enough to cause bruising or lacerations.  I would suggest the palm of one's hand be used, because our hand tells us exactly how hard we are spanking the child.  If our hand stings, that is certainly hare enough.  That is just my personal opinion.

Another factor needs to be applied as well.  Am I, as a father, living for the Lord?  Am I, as His child, in need of discipline?  If so, then I am not qualified to address the sins of my children!  This is what the Apostle Paul wrote on the subject: 

"Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted" (Gal. 6:1).

You, as a parent, have the right, and responsibility of disciplining your child.  However, "...take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumbling block to them that are weak" (1 Cor. 8:9).  Ephesians 6:4 says, "And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord."


The test of your success:  does your child recognizes his error, and that he is loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment