"And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And it repented the LORD that He had made man on the earth, and it grieved Him at His heart. And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth Me that I have made them" (Gen. 6:5-7).
The word "wickedness" is translated from the Hebrew רַע (ra`), which appears 663 times in the Old Testament; the same word is translated "evil" 442 times! In other words, Satan, the god of this world, was successful in his "recruitment of souls" (2 Cor. 4:4).
I know what some of you are thinking; "thank God things aren't that bad today!" Well, I hate to disappoint you, but that is exactly how things are today!
* Consider the millions of unborn children who are literally ripped apart in their mother's womb.
* Consider the fact that terrorism has become a world-wide epidemic, with the vast majority of "soldiers" bent on destroying everyone and everything in the name of their god!
* Consider the multi-faceted attack on the family, that has resulted in more than fifty percent of marriages ending in divorce; more children born out-of-wedlock than to married couples; and homosexuality being supported by governments as an acceptable life-style, even to the point of endorsing marriage between same-sex partners.
* Consider the legalization of narcotics (marijuana) by states to increase revenue.
* Consider the states encouraging gambling through lotteries for the same reason.
* Consider the fact that some states are actively seizing guns from citizens, "to make our cities safer," while the highest murder by gun rates in our nation, are in cities that have the toughest gun laws (Chicago, Detroit, New York, Washington, D.C., etc.)!
Of course, I could go on and on about the evil that permeates our world, but I think I have made my point. And, just in case you think I am just another nut crying "the sky is falling," here is how Jesus described the world in its last days:
"And as it was in the days of Noah, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man. They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all. Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded; But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed [them] all" (Lk. 17:26-29).
Jesus is coming back when the world is in chaos; look around!