Tuesday, March 25, 2014

EITHER WATCH, OR WATCH OUT!

I served twenty years in the U.S. Navy, and over those years, I "stood watch" innumerable times.  And while I assumed it was my job to protect something from someone, no one ever told me exactly what I was watching, or for whom I was supposed to watch.  Mostly, I just watched the clock tick, and prayed for someone to call on the phone! 

A little over eleven years into my "career," I believed the Gospel, trusted in Christ, and was born again.  All of a sudden, I was "on watch" twenty-four/seven!  You see, the Gospel told me that although I was a sinner deserving God's "capital punishment," Christ died in my place (Rom. 5:8; 6:23; etc.)!  He was buried for three days, and He was raised from the dead by God, my Father (Mt. 12:40; 1 Cor. 15:1-4; Gal. 4:6; etc.).  Then in Acts 1:9-11, Luke wrote of Jesus' Ascension, and said, "...this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen Him go into heaven."  I have been watching ever since!

Much of Bible prophecy deals with the Second Coming of Christ.  And, if one does not carefully and rightly divide the Word, he will fail to realize that His Second Coming actually has two phases.  Yes, Jesus will return to establish His Millennial Kingdom (Rev. 20), but He will also come to gather His Church seven years or so earlier, in what is commonly referred to as the Rapture.  Jesus promised he would return to remove us prior to the wrath of God being poured out on those who rejected Him (Jn. 14:1-3; 1 Cor. 15:51-52; 1 Thes. 4:13-18; 5:9; Rev. 3:10; etc.)!  And so, believers long for His return.

Unbelievers are repeatedly warned to repent and be saved, because the Lord fully intends to return and to destroy those who oppose Him (Rev. 19:11-21)!  2 Peter 3:9 says, "The Lord is...not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."  That is why we read Christ's warning to the lost that His return will be sudden, and when they least expect Him; He will come as a "thief in the night" (1 Thes. 5:2; 2 Pet. 3:10; Rev. 3:3; 16:15; etc.)!

So, the bottom line is this:  if you are a born again believer in Jesus Christ, you should be looking for what Titus 2:13 calls "that Blessed Hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ!"  If you refuse to believe in Jesus as your Lord and Savior, you should be "on the lookout" for the coming of the "KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS" (Rev. 19:16)!

 Those who believe in His First Coming, look forward to His Second Coming!



No comments:

Post a Comment