Saturday, March 1, 2014

DOES GOD SPEAK TO US TODAY?

The phrases "God said unto," and "God spake unto," appear only thirty times in the Scriptures; here are the names of those to whom the phrases are addressed:  Adam and Eve - Gen. 1:28; Satan - Gen. 3:14; Noah - Gen. 6:13; Abraham - Gen. 17:9; Abimelech - Gen. 20:6; Jacob - Gen. 35:1; Moses - Ex. 3:14; Balaam - Num. 22:12; Solomon - 1 Kg. 3:11; Jeroboam - 1 Kg.13:8; David - 1 Chr. 11:2; Hosea - Hos. 1:6.  (Note:  the other eighteen address the same individuals).

Of course, the Scriptures tell us that the LORD spoke to individuals thousands of times, and He also spoke to mankind through His angels, and the prophets.  Once, He even spoke through a donkey!  On two occasions, God was heard speaking to men in the New Testament:  by John the Baptist (Mt. 3:17), and by Peter, James, and John (Mt. 17:5). 

But what about today?  Does God still speak to people today?  If you listen to radio, or watch television, you frequently hear someone say, "God told me...."  And while many simply take the word of those "special enough" to hear from God, the vast majority of folks do not believe them.  For one thing, literally billions do not believe in the God of the Bible, and therefore, refuse to accept the person's testimony of such events. 

Christians, for the most part, do not believe such "tales," because they, themselves, have never experienced God speaking to them.  Many skeptics point to the introduction to the Book of Hebrews which, they say, teaches that God no longer speaks directly to man.  It reads:  "God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, hath in these last days spoken unto us by His Son, whom He hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also He made the worlds" (Heb. 1:1-2).  They often point to the Book of Revelation, which warns not to add to the Scriptures (an argument that lacks validity, in that, I have never heard anyone testify that what he or she heard was equal to, or to be added to Scripture).

In my forty-three years as a believer in Christ, I have heard the Lord speak to me on five occasions.  All five were at times when I was severely depressed.  Because the Holy Spirit is the "Comforter," it is quite likely that it was His voice I heard, and not the Father's.  What I heard was for me in my time of need.  I am not special; what He has done for me, I suspect He will do for you! 

I serve a living God, who loves me, and I am so very grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment